Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. For a few days after I got my kitten he’s been trying to scratch and bite me and not in the playful manner. Like he’s hiding from me and actually trying to attack me and I don’t know what to do. What should I do?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi icky. It's hard to say without details, but I'd guess your kitten is anxious. It'll take time for him to get used to his new surroundings and new people so he may be lashing out. Do you have a cat tree in a window, cat beds, toys, and a well-placed litter box or two? Do you try to pet him? Have you taken him to the Vet for a thorough check-up and neuter?

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
What age was the kitten when you got him? Most kittens should not leave their mom and litter before 3-1/2 to 4 mos. It's during that crucial socialization period when they learn to control their bite and claws. Taken away too early, they miss out on that, and it's difficult to train them to not bite or claw later.. Never use your hand or fingers to play with them.....use a cord or wand toy to drag around or make it move from floor to sofa--like an animal jumping up and down etc. Praise his behavior when he is behaving well. If he attacks your feet or ankles, stomp your foot heavily on the floor may be enough to change his mind, or even a tap of your shoe on his paw. He'll get the idea that it's a no no to attack your feet. If you ignore him and get up and leave if he is attacking, he'll soon realize that's no fun. When he is behaving well, gently stroke him---on his cheeks, top of head and back---ignore tummy as some cats find it tooo ticklish, and talk to him in a sing-song voice, and occasionally reward him with a treat.....tho not too many as then that's all he'll want! All the best and we'd love an update.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts