Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my cat for 6 years. Picked him up from a shelter when he was 7 months. He's some Maine Coon cross.

We recently moved from an apartment to a house and decided to let him out on a leash a couple times. He was fine until he saw a cat and then hissed, growled, and even attacked us. We could barely get him back in the house. A month later we tried again, he was fine until he smelled something in the bushes and freaked out on us again. He's completely mental and does not recognize us. It's really scary. His screams make my blood boil.

It's been a few months since he did this outside, and well something that a guest brought over provoked that same reaction just last night, and for the first time inside the house. We had to lock him in a room and anytime we came near him he hissed and growled.

A couple hours later he seemed fine. And was fine all day until something freaked him again. He went nuts at us again. We've locked him in a room now but I don't know if I can even be around him anymore. I really can't trust his behavior. It's really kinda freaky.

Thoughts? I'd hate to have to get rid of him. My 1 year old nephew was within arms length of the cat when he went off.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Good idea to get a proper vet checkup. Could be a siezure disorder or a post traumatic stress reaction.

I hope everything turns out OK
:cat

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Seems like he is reacting to a smell...you could dab a bit of "vick's" on his nose to prevent him from smelling whatever he's smelling from outside.
I'd also just keep him inside.

I have some friends who have a blind dog. This dog is very nice, but when he hears my VOICE he goes nuts barking and growling. He isn't bothered by my smell, just my voice. There is one other friend who elicits this reaction in him, too...but he behaves much worse when he hears her voice than mine.
Heidi

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Does the guest have a cat? Is it possible the item had their cat's scent on it? It does sound like re-directed aggression.

Oh...and another 'no' vote on the Vicks. My mother is visiting and currently using Vicks....Holly gets within a foot of her and then stops, makes an awful face and backs right off. It's obvious that she really doesn't like the smell.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Sorry about the Vick's suggestion. We use it on the farm animals (sheep/cows/horses) when there are problems with mothers rejecting their young or trying to get an orphan onto another Mama.

I thought it'd work for cats, too. I didn't think about it being so strong...
Heidi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts