Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1 and a half year old neutered male cat is contispated. I am unsure for how long but I noticed today when I came home at 4pm.

He keeps going to the litter box, straining to poo with no luck. Then he'll go cleaning himself down there, go off for a bit and come back. He's also screaming and I know hes in discomfort/pain.

Im unsure when he went to the toilet last (we have three other cats so hard to tell whos buisness is whos) But my brother said he had been sleeping all day since I left (8am) and didnt move till I came home.

Its now half 10 at night here by the way.
In this time Ive been watching him very carefully , everytime he goes to the litter tray, and havent seeing him urinating either, but there is wet litter in the litter tray so unless he did go and I didnt see or it was the other cats Im unsure of that.

Also should clarify that hes not pooing at all , no matter how often he strains nothing is coming out.

So what should I do?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Straining in the litter box always concerns me.

Are you sure that he is constipated and not having bladder problems? Since you are not sure if the wet litter in the box was from him or another cat, that might be hard to tell if you have not directly seen him pass urine recently.

I do not want to alarm you unnecessarily, but I do know that male cats can have pain in the litter box from crystals in the urinary tract, and these can actually lead to blockages which result in similar behaviour and can be an emergency situation.

If you have an emergency vet service that you can call for advice, that might be your best bet. They should be able to let you know how to tell if this is, in fact, an emergency or not - and advise you how to proceed from there.

I tend to think it's best to err on the side of caution in these things, but emergency vet bills are quite expensive and tough to swallow if it should turn out to be a false alarm.

Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took him to the vet today at 4pm (its know 23:42)

She said his bladder was actually empty and she couldn't feel that he was contispated either.. she said if she was exqmining him, without talking to me she'd think that he was perfectly healthy..

She did mention crystals but said they were more common in females? She didn't think it was that..

She gave him two injections one was medacam, and I cant remember the name of the other at the top of my head..
Then she gave me a liquid, I think its called liquid parrafain? And I sirrange feed him 2ml twice a day!

I also have to isolate him from the rest of the cats for the weekend.. To be 100% sure he uses the liter box..

I then have to ring back on monday morning to let them know how he is!!!

Other than that though he was in good form this morning, Its been a long day for him.. Hes sleeping since we got home :p

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think you meant Metacam instead of Medacam. Don't ever give a cat Metacam. It can kill a cat very quickly. If the cat is screaming when he tries to pee or poop then something is very wrong. If need be go to a different vet.

Kathy

·
Banned
952 Posts
I took him to the vet today at 4pm (its know 23:42)

She said his bladder was actually empty and she couldn't feel that he was contispated either.. she said if she was exqmining him, without talking to me she'd think that he was perfectly healthy..

She did mention crystals but said they were more common in females? She didn't think it was that..

She gave him two injections one was medacam, and I cant remember the name of the other at the top of my head..
Then she gave me a liquid, I think its called liquid parrafain? And I sirrange feed him 2ml twice a day!

I also have to isolate him from the rest of the cats for the weekend.. To be 100% sure he uses the liter box..

I then have to ring back on monday morning to let them know how he is!!!

Other than that though he was in good form this morning, Its been a long day for him.. Hes sleeping since we got home :p
I would also strongly advocate for a second opinion. If this cat is perfectly fine according to this first vet, why on earth is she giving him all those meds, some of which are highly dangerous?

And she's quite, QUITE wrong about crystals in the urine - it's MALE cats who get them the most, not females.

Definitely time for a second opinion.

AC

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I would also strongly advocate for a second opinion. If this cat is perfectly fine according to this first vet, why on earth is she giving him all those meds, some of which are highly dangerous?

And she's quite, QUITE wrong about crystals in the urine - it's MALE cats who get them the most, not females.

Definitely time for a second opinion.

AC
Yeah I was going to say, aren't crystals more common in male cats?

I just looked up that medication because I'd never heard of it before. Apparently in 2003 in the US laws were passed requiring it be labeled as "Not for use in cats" because of the safety concerns. It's worrisome that your vet is using it.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Straining is bad, no matter what. I can't believe they didn't try to pull urine to see if there were crystals and just gave you a bunch of meds.

Is he eating? Is his litter box completely empty or is he peeing?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Michelle, I agree with everyone else. PLEASE get a second opinion ASAP! The meds given to a "perfectly healthy" cat concerns me a great deal. The opinion that he's a "perfectly healthy" cat while straining so hard in the litter box concerns me even more. I really don't want to frighten you more than you already are, but urinary tract blockages in males, if left long enough, can cause the bladder to rupture. A blockage can be fixed. A ruptured bladder cannot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What the vet ment was that she can't see anything wrong with him.. She gave him the medication as she knows hes telling us somehings wrong but she cant find out what it is..

Sorry I got the name of the medication wrong, it was the other one.. I misked up the ds and ts!

This is the best vet I can find, honestly.. Im not going to my local vet, this ones the best one I can find!

Ok, update: Hes pooing and he had wet litter in the litter box.. Though sometimes he will go to the tray, try and go toilet but cant.

But.. today he was in the car as I was going somewhere (he loves the car, and going places) and he peed on a magazine made from paper (not like him to pee anywhere but the litter tray at home, )
I saw him squatting, was looking at him then he walked away and the urine hadnt gone through the paper yet, half the urine was normal, other half was blood (not dark blood, it was light-medium red)

I panicked of course but my mum and brother saw it a while after he made it (by this time it had soaked through) and they said it could of been his urine mixed with the dye in the paper..

But i saw it straight away after he did it wouldnt it take a while to run into the dye? Also if it was blood and not the dye would it not be darker?

I can't bring him to the vet till wed at 3ish, I maybe able to bring tomorrow at 4-5ish..

Opinions?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Agreed with both of the last posters. This can't wait. I understand the financial issues, but it CANNOT wait. It doesn't sound likely it would have been urine mixing with dye in the paper, especially since you saw it right after it happened, before the urine actually soaked in. No, blood in the urine isn't necessarily dark. My oldest cat had two bouts of FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disease). The first time I caught it early, the second time he blocked (and when he blocked he was straining so hard, all over the condo, to pee that he pooped on the carpet. What led me to bring him to the emergency clinic was when he cried out in pain). Since being diagnosed with chronic renal failure he has had two bladder infections. The first time I noticed clotted blood on top of the urine in the litter box. The second time the blood was mixed through the urine and looked what is commonly referred to as "pinkish".

What you're describing sounds like classic FLUTD, and he's at an age when FLUTD is most common to occur in males.

PLEASE take him back to the vet, or call them and tell them what happened.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone..

My grandad is having an emergency with a calf, and my brother had to go out to help the vet at him. (thats our local vet, not the one I bring my small animals too) then when he comes home I'll ring the vet..

Will keep you all updated!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I brought him down..

It was a different vet (they have different vets for different shifts) She did say that crystals are common in males so the other vet was wrong!

She checked his stomach for ages, she said she doesn't think it was crystals or a bloakage as hes in no pain even when at his stomach..

Anyhow long story short, they kept him and are going to call in the morning first thing..

They wanted to keep an eye on his bladder and stomach, check what hes making and how much etc.

Anyhow I called in at 6pm as I was passing coming home from town, He had ate, drank but still didn't use the litter box then..

So basically if hes not urinating during the night, then they more than likely will have to do a urine sample and send it away to be tested (she said something about him being under an annestectic for this)

My poor baby, my house aint the same without him.. I had tears in my eyes leaving him and have now! :(

·
Banned
952 Posts
So I brought him down..

It was a different vet (they have different vets for different shifts) She did say that crystals are common in males so the other vet was wrong!

She checked his stomach for ages, she said she doesn't think it was crystals or a bloakage as hes in no pain even when at his stomach..

Anyhow long story short, they kept him and are going to call in the morning first thing..

They wanted to keep an eye on his bladder and stomach, check what hes making and how much etc.

Anyhow I called in at 6pm as I was passing coming home from town, He had ate, drank but still didn't use the litter box then..

So basically if hes not urinating during the night, then they more than likely will have to do a urine sample and send it away to be tested (she said something about him being under an annestectic for this)

My poor baby, my house aint the same without him.. I had tears in my eyes leaving him and have now! :(
So glad you brought your boy in! I know how you feel without him. <<<hugs>>> Hope all is well with him tomorrow!

AC

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hope all goes well! I understand how you feel about not having him home. :patback I hated the times my oldest (just over night two or three times) and youngest (a week and a half) were hospitalised.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so they rang to let me know how last night went..

He did pee and they said the urine was fine, but the vet was looking at him this morning and felt something in his stomach and she said he was ,uncomftable, with it.

So there arranging transport to take him to the other clinic they have so they can do an xray of him there.

They will ring back when they have news..

Im in bits :(

Its terrible knowing hes down there, but I do believe hes in the best place he can be, they really do care for the animals down there, they bring them out for plenty of hugs and pets and all talk to them and even kissing them. Its like a hospital, they all have their own charts and I even had to sign a consent form to say they can have him in there care.
Its a bit annoying the vet changing but they write everything down on computer and they read up on the animals past before dealing with the animal which is excellant..

I miss my baby :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts