Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.. I wanted to try to get some information from people who may have experienced this with their cat or knows something about it before i went to the vet because I am a college student and i cant afford the vet right now!!

It has been five days and my cat has only had 2 bowel movements. He didn't have one at all for three days. He is urinating quite frequently and I have been giving him laxatone daily for a week now. I've tried pumpkin filling but no luck with that, he hates the taste. He's lethargic and doesn't want to play. He cries to go outside all the time even though he has been an indoor cat since birth with occaisional trips outdoors. Almost two months ago I changed his diet to the Hill's prescription diet feline c/d. I still feed him some wet food, occaisionally 2-3 packs a day. (which is overdoing it i know).

He has been grooming himself reguarly, if not more than usual. I was worried this may be hairballs since he is a long haired cat, but I groom him daily 1-2 times and i lastnight i bought some treats that should eliminate hairballs. It has been a day and a half since his last bowel movement.

Another point, i just recently moved and he has a new litterbox (even though after the move i kept his old one for a couple of weeks). He uses it to urinate and his bowel movements have been in there, I just wondered if he would hold it or anything if he didn't want to use it? Please let me know if anyone has any ideas or suggestions because its going on 6 days and I'm worried to death about my baby kitty!! He is a male, approx 1.5 years old, neutered, up to date on shots.

Thanks, Ally:)
[/color][/size]

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing I forgot to mention... he has lost some weight, before we moved he weighed 14.5 pounds. Not sure what he weighs now but its very clear he has lost some weight quite rapidly. But I have also cut him way down from his food intake and treats (almost half because he was being overfed too much), so I guess maybe that is why he has lost some weight?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL one more thing I forgot to mention.. He also has a congested sound in his chest sometimes when he may be laying on his back or when you pick him up. Not sure if this will help given the other symptoms but hopefully so!! I have to be sure to tell all problems or signs to be sure! Maybe im just really worried but I need advice! Thanks again..

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I'd head to the vet. My cat Sabby had bowell problems a couple weeks ago and it was pretty bad.

Also, don't feed your cat pumpkin pie filling. Just pure canned pumpkin, or even better, unflavored psyllium powder. My cat hates pumpkin, too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I second going to the vet immediately. I don't want to alarm you by telling you what happened to my cat because I didn't notice she was sick early enough. Some of them hide it so well it's very hard to see when something really bad may be going on. Better be safe than sorry. I'd start calling the all the local vets and asking them how much they want for a visit. In my area I have found some vets charge 3 times more what others charge. You may be able to find one that's not too expensive. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I agree with the advice given. Please take him to the vet ASAP. He might have a blockage. That could be life threatening. I know what's it's like to be broke and in college. I had four children when I went, and once I had to use part of a student loan to pay the vet's bill. They're our babies, and we have no choice. :(

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well.. I can't get in to see the vet until 2:30 tomorrow!! Thank you guys so much for the advice. Does anyone know what i can do for him until then? It seems he is in some pain. He did have a bowel movement today! I could tell it was real dark and hard then part of it was orangish and more normal than it has been. But the clinic will hold a check for me thank goodness! hehe.. I can't believe how much weight he has lost. I have some pics of him if anyone is interested! They aren't very good quality but thought i'd share him with u guys!!

http://www.sugarpie.netfirms.com

I will let you guys know how his visit goes! :) Good luck to all ya'll and yer kitty darlings:)

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Yes, he does look like Cujo. He's a beautiful cat. I hope the vet is able to clear this us quickly! I would hesitate to suggest anything. I think you need to ask the vet. I wish you the very best.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, thank you so much for the support - its great. Sugar pie seems to think so too :) but on the other hand, i think he is in some pain or doesn't feel to well. I was unsuccessful on finding the psyllium powder! :( and i was wondering maybe if i should feed him dry or wet food? Or no food? he has yet to use the litterbox since about noon today and before that it was yesterday evening. He has eat under a cup of dry c/d and 2 packs of soft food. Wondered what i could try to ease his belly pain for the night! I hate when my kittypie is sick :( Thanks again guys! This is an excellent forum btw! :D

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I found psyllium powder next to the Metamucil (metamucil is psyllium, but it also has other ingredients) at Walgreen's. It was a kind with no sugar so it was safe for diabetics (my cat has diabetes). Check ingredient labels on the brands of fiber supplements at your local drugstore to find just plain powdered psyllium.

I'm sorry...I have no suggestions on what to feed your cat in the meantime. I hope everything comes out ok at the vet's. Please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys! Sugar pie has just been laying around i can tell he don't feel good. I can't wait until 2:30 so maybe we can start making him feel better. He still hasn't pooped since noon yesterday but he has urinated like 4 times or so. Thanks Annissa for where to locate the psyllium powder! I'm going to head and get some. Do i just sprinkle it on his food? And yea he does favor Cujo! hehe anyway... I will let you guys know how the vet visit went. And as for a grooming question, can cats increase their grooming? He can't stop grooming, he will lay back n take a bath. Maybe it takes his mind off of the pain ?

Thanks to all of you who have been such great help! Just hearing the advice from ppl that know what they are talking about is great, instead of just hoping everything is okay!! BYE :)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
First find out from the vet if his bowell problems are caused by a lack of fiber in his diet. If not, then you don't need the psyllium powder at all. If so, find out from your vet how much to give him, then just sprinkle it on top of his food.

I found out the hard way that too much fiber is just as bad as too little. :?

Good luck at the vet!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay... Is there any other questions I should ask the vet? And should i take a poop and urine sample to the vet with me?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ahh.. 2:30 is never going to get here! 3 more hours. Sugar pie is acting nervous to all sounds n stuff, which is very unnormal for him. I dunno if im just a worried mom or if his condition is getting worse! I'm going to call the vet and let them know if i can get in any earlier that would be great! Sugar pie has never been to this vet before, i hope she's good! It's at an animal county hospital. I checked around and all the other vets are 10-15 minutes away and are approx five dollars cheaper. So i figured a closer one would be easier on both of us!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
It defanetly sounds like something is wrong, I can understand your worry. Luckily it is almost 2:30, so you can get him to the doctor.

Good Luck! We will send love and well wishes your way.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, sugar pie is feeling better thanks to some antibiotic/b-12/anti-inflammatory shot. After sugar pie has completely shed a small elephant and i was picking hair outta my mouth, we got to go in. He was so nervous but he was cool. The vet did the series of touching prodding poking in every single corner of sugar pie's body, she came to conclude after (and i quote my vet bill) a Urinalysis, Cystocentesis :? and a fecal floatation that he had a urinary tract infection, low protein, constipated maybe with some gas.

She went on to explain how the urinary tract and bowels could possibly relate to one another or it could be from a hair ball or object in him. She said he could cough it up or pass it sometime as long as the meds help. After asking me if i wanted to do blood work and send the urine to the lab (which alone cost 70.00) i was like no i think ill pass for now.. GEEZ how do they sleep at night?? Anyway after thinking i found a decent cheaper vet for saving me a drive for 15 miles my bill turned out to be $92.00 !! OMG you guys have no idea how bad of a dent that put in my financial life. Anyway... maybe it was worth it, as long as sugar pie feels better i guess.

He is feeling better as far as his attitude. He isn't nervous or anything. he's chillin. The vet gave me some stool softeners and Amoxicillin (If i send off the urine lab work, it will tell me which anti biotic he should get, does anyone know about this?) and told me to keep giving him laxatone and after his first loose poop (hehe) i stop the softeners and laxatone.

Well, as i look back at that 92.50 im like geeezzz but oh well what can i do now? I can look for a cheaper place to go. (Even though ivenever had a better vet than her she was great)

Thanks to everyone for advice and kittyTLC :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts