Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got quite a large family of cats, 8 of them crammed in my apartment, all chinchillas, five white and three brown. Most of them are adorable except for two who appear to be scared of me and anyone else who gets close to them. They are just over 8 months old and hiss everytime I try and get close to them. One of them is a male who is quite harmless once you hold him but the other is virtually unapproachable as she gets spastic and scratches and bites.
I was away for the last 6 months and just returned so I guess it'll take time for them to get familiar with me in the apartment, but I still think these two are a bit strange. The boy stays in his box for the most part of the day and everytime he gets out of it, he keeps an eye on me as he moves and scurries past my chair.
Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Cat Forum!

You don't mention how long you have been back home, but I am betting that your kitties just need some time to get re-acquainted with you. Doing the math, they were only a couple of months old when you left, so they need to get to know you, all over again. Give them some time and some space and they will warm up to you. If you have some time, try to sit near them and read aloud so they can get accustomed to your presence and the sound of your voice. be sure to give them treats, so they will associate you with good things. I know it might be difficult to operate on their schedules, but go slowly and the trust will build.

Peace,
Mike

G

·
HA that's funny because my neighbour used to get me to take care of their cats when they went on holidays but they stopped when the cats didnt want to leave my house (it was so cute.) Now I know why, I'm a consisten reader and sometimes, with out realising it, I read out loud. But that's great advice otherwise, it works, and i know it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts