Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at my wits end. My cat Jeeves is so nice and sweet to me and my son, I love him to pieces, but he is very mean to my husband.

We'll all be on the couch and my male tabby cat will come sit on my lap and purr and cuddle and let me or my son pet him...and then he'll sneak over to my husband, and still be purring and act like he's going in for a little face nudge, but his body gets tense and his ears go down a bit...and if we don't catch him and remove him from the couch IMMEDIATELY, he will bite my husband in the head and face!

My husband is soooo nice to him all the time. He feeds him his afternoon snack every day, and we were married when we adopted Jeeves (so my husband is not new to our family).

I can't have him biting my husband in the face/head anymore. What can I do?

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
What kind of cologne does your hubby wear or aftershave? Cats are sensitive to different smells...
He could be reacting to something like
that...
Even things you might eat (the smell on your breath).

·
Registered
245 Posts
What kind of cologne does your hubby wear or aftershave? Cats are sensitive to different smells...
He could be reacting to something like
that...
Even things you might eat (the smell on your breath).
There is something to that! Last christmas I gave my hubby a different shower soap kit thingy with all the bells and whistles cause I wanted it changed up and Coca started to swat at him and bite his hands :neutral:

Cat won and I guess I was put in my place, hubby is back to his original nice smell! lol :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
How long has this been going on? Could be body smell, or breath or any number of things. Husband needs to desensitize Jeeves when kitty comes over for a visit. I would offer the back of my hand for a sniff, maybe have a bag of snacks nearby then gently stroke his cheeks and pet his head only. Let him settle in for a nap. I had to do this to Lacey for quite a few months after we adopted her in January. I never knew when she would haul off and nip me. I've learned to recognize the signs of her getting wired - dilated eyes, ears slightly askew, tense. Even now, I withdraw my hands and arms and let her settle down when I sense it's coming.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It sounds like he maybe getting overstimulated from the cuddle session, and sees your husbands head a a favorite play thing! When you are petting him, watch for signs of overstimulation like dilated eyes, a twitching tail, or twitching ears. Try to stop before you get to this point, but if you notice it, immediately get an interactive toy out like a feather on a string toy and play with him. You just need to break the pattern.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of your responses. You really might be on to something with the smell thing, that didn't even occur to me. When I volunteer with the cats at the Humane Society and come home, I have to immediately change my clothes and shower or Jeeves will attack me. It seemed like it was causing a lot of stress for him so I stopped working with cats and only worked with dogs and he didn't seem to mind me smelling like dogs...

I think desensitizing is hard because my husband is afraid of Jeeves when he acts this way. He can be very scary and very mean and getting up and walking away does nothing because Jeeves will chase and can easily jump from the floor onto your head!! He attacks me like this, too, but it doesn't really bother me the way it bothers my husband. I'll keep some feather toys near-by and see if it can curb this daily occurrence.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
You might try having your hubby get involved in the feeding/treat giving too if he doesn't already (that way Jeeves will associate him with food, which is a good thing). And, have him involved in play time too. Good luck!

·
Registered
697 Posts
He jumps from the floor to your HEAD?! Sounds like he is not getting enough play time. How old is he? I would invest in a fishing pole toy like Da Bird and play with him until he starts panting. My kitten used to attack my female cat until I started playing with him DAILY and now they have a much better relationship. Play until he cant play anymore. If he is younger, he might grow out of it in time. Good luck

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I agree with play times, but it should be hubby holding the toy! Use something that keeps the excitement distant from your body like a wand toy or laser pointer and get him really running. The idea is to get Jeeves to tired he's panting a bit and obviously tired out. A tired kitty is a good kitty :)

I'll also add that hubby should start feeding him treats a few times a day, just one or two each time. When Jeeves comes into his lap hubby should give him a treat or two, then sit and not touch Jeeves back.

Jitzu does this to new people, she's curious about them and wants to be close...but she doesn't want to be petted by them. Since in her case it's people who are guests I typically just shoo her away after a minute of sniffing, but since your hubby lives with Jeeves he needs to be involved. Just because he comes to you, sits on you ect does NOT mean he wants to be touched. With cats who aren't sure I tell people to wait until the cat bumps their head against your hand before you even attempt petting. Even then keep it to light scratching on the head and face, no body touching.

A cat who gets easily over stimulated does NOT want fully body pets.

Between the treats, play time, and respecting his space you should see changes fairly quickly. I'd also look into teaching Jeeves some tricks, do a search on youtube for great videos on how to teach cats, but it sounds to me like his little kitty brain needs a workout! lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.