Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat Benny has weird drinking habits.

For a while he's been drinking water out of the power filter on my fish tank. It's this box that hangs on the back of the fish tank that circulates the water, sucking it into the box, through a filter pad, and then the water flows back out into the tank. Benny jumps on top of the tank, knocks the top off of the power filter, and drinks right out of it. I figured he does this because he likes the water better since it's circulating. But I don't know how good the water is for him. Plus, he drinks too much of it and I keep having to refill the tank, which is annoying. I taped the top onto the power filter and he figured out it's not a source of drinking water anymore.

So now his only source is a bowl full of water. But here's the weird thing that's actually more annoying than him drinking out of the tank. He likes to touch the water. Not just touch it, but splash around in it. He sticks his paw in the water and scoops it out of the bowl like he's digging. He did the same thing with the fish tank. He'd stick his paws into the tank (the 1.5 inch opening between the power filter waterfall and the tank hood) and swirl his paw around. Sometimes I'd see him stick his arm in all the way to his shoulder. o_O

Is there anything I can do to keep him from making a mess with the water?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Padunk said:
He sounds like he'd love a pet fountain.
He probably would. But I think the combination of flowing water and a bowl sitting on the floor would be catastrophic. He'd get all the fun of moving water plus he could splash around in it.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I hadn't even finished your entire post, but as soon as you mentioned the filter and water....I envisioned the moving water must be fascinating him and also thought of a pet fountain. Ours love theirs! It was a great investment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts