Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone this is my first post...

I have a bit of a story to tell, the pictures below are of my cat Mickey Blue Eyes (he was allways just Mickey, he had bright blue eyes when he was young). About two weeks ago he went missing and he still hasnt come back, which i am quite upset about. I am wondering if anyone could identify what types of breed he is...His mother was a full bred Chinchilla (if that even is a breed..I dont really know), because im wondering if there is any posibility of getting another cat like him.

I have been reading other peoples posts and have seen ForJazz's posts and pictures of her cats, Mia looks almost exactly the same as Mickey! (although perhaps a little lighter). I dont really have any good photos of Mickey at the moment, but ill have some soon (there at someone elses house).

We left Mickey at home for a day and a half which he was quite used to, and when we came back he wasnt as eager to eat (as he allways was) when we got home, and there was still food left in his bowl that we had left for him. A day later he went missing. I think that someone was feeding him when we were away and he went back a day later and the people decided to keep him...

Sorry about the bad quality of some of the pictures (and also the size of the thing!), my brother decided to cut out and laminate some of the photos...

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I hope your dear kitty comes back, but yes it does look like Mia! Even the dark foot pads too. I love that pic of the kitten on its back....very cute. :lol:

·
Registered
87 Posts
silly question,

but I suppose you have contacted local shelters, asked around, stuck posters up with his picture on, asked neighbours to check locked garages etc.

Some cats have been known to go missing for a while, don't give up hope. Your cat may return.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have put leaflets in everyones letterbox and put up posters and checked all the animal shelters. Mickey had a microchip, so if he was acctually "lost" he could of been identified.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Hi...its FORJazz...not TooJazz. ;) No biggie -- anyway, when I read your post I got so sad. He really *does* look like Mia except for the longer face, and Mia is a little smaller and her tail is lighter colored -- and so for me it's like looking at a ghost. Please don't take that the wrong way -- I pray that you get Mickey back. If I were you I'd also go door to door and ask people if they would look in their locked garages. Plus, you never know if a neighbor is just not coming forth -- if the front door opens and Mickey is in there, you might catch a glimpse. Don't give up, is what I would do.

Anyway -- sorry if my post is kind of weird. Seeing your pictures really struck a chord with me and I feel very sentimental. I adopted Mia after she had been stray, so I'm not sure of her background. But I do know that chinchilla is a cat that is all white underneath and all the hairs are tipped with grey. Usually they are very expensive. And they are not striped cats -- so I'm willing to bet that if Mickey is half chinchilla, the other half is tabby. I know that an American Shorthair often comes in the silver tabby color -- you can look that up online and see pictures. It looks a lot similar to Mia and Mickey. Other than that, I don't know of a breed of cat that turns out looking like ours. I think we just got very lucky.

But if you live anywhere near Madison, WI -- the humane society called me a few weeks ago to tell me that two cats turned up that looked like mine -- the same colorings. I have been checking up on them -- right now they are in foster care due to upper respiratory infections. They should clear up relatively soon -- URI are very common among stray cats brought into shelters. Anyway -- that's one cat that I know of who is available, that looks like Mickey. I believe it's a girl though -- not sure if that matters to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I have corrected your name in the above post!

Yes Mickey did seem to bear some resemblance some American shorthair pictures that I just looked up...It is very possible that he is a cross of Chinchilla and American Shorthair...

As for me living near Madison, WI, I have no idea where that is except I presume its in the US..I live near Sydney in Australia :D So no easy to find Mickey look alikes for me :(

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Alright -- well that's helpful. Popular breeds are different in Austrailia. Would you be able to tell me some that you hear about a lot there? I knew of one that I'm trying to think of now but it's not coming to me. I doubt that your chinchilla was crossed with ASH -- I can't see the cat being very common there. With that coat, and a chinchilla for a mother, Mickey could have been crossed with a regular brown tabby. How do you know his mother was chinchilla? Did you get him from a friend whose cat got pregnant?

The Bengal cat also comes in a snowy silver color -- you might want to check that out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, we got him from a friend who had a pure bred chinchilla that got pregnant. I will look up those other breeds, thanks alot for your help.

As for what breeds are popular...I think the plain jane domesticated cat would be by far the most popular...

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Then it's extremely likely that she got pregnant from a run of the mill tomcat outside -- a domestic shorthair like you said. I'm sure that's where Mickey got his coloring from, and the stripes from dad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts