Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found my cat back in June 2019, I named him Ferguson. He was young. Maybe only 2 months old. He was malnourished and sick. I took him to the vet and got him feeling better. He was so weak he wouldnt even play, it took him a while to even show interest. He slowly turned around and was a normal kitten. As he started getting older he started getting more aggressive towards me. I never played with him with my hands, never yelled at him or scolded him. What he does is he will pounce at me and grab on with his claws and bite down and refuse to let go. I can't figure out any kind of trigger or pattern. It could be when I'm laying in bed or sitting on the couch, walking by him, interacting with him, or I could even be in an entirely different room. Sometimes theres warning signs, such as him flicking his tail, other times theres nothing. He has pierced completely through my right ear with his claw (seen in the picture), he bit me through my ball cap and left a hole in my head, and has cut up my legs, arms, and fingers pretty bad. He will have his sweet moments with me. But I don't trust him anymore and I'm honestly scared to be around him. I'm terrified he is going to catch my eye with his claws. I have tried claw caps many times and he just pulls them off in one sitting, no matter how hard I try to distract him. The weirdest thing is he doesn't do this with anyone else. Not my boyfriend, who we live with, or any strangers that may come through the house. He even had to stay at my moms for a bit last month and didnt attack anyone there. I don't know what to do. He was fixed at 8 months old (the earliest my vet does it). I was really hoping it would help but it hasnt at all. Does anyone have any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
This seem normal for some kittens but on a lower level you could try direct the aggression away from yourself or others by alway having a toy that moves close to hand, such as a wand or toy on a string.

Most cats will attack anything that moves if they've been in isolation and not much stuff going on for the past few hours around them. Try give your cat stuff to release this instinctive impulse on or it will end up being you it does it too.

Negative and positive reinforcement techniques may be best now though as he may be too set in his ways if its been going on too long.

Be brave, you and your cat will be good friends!

Please do share updates with how you solve this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response!
I have tried that too. Today he was playing and I kept directing his attention to his toys, especially his favorite toy which is a squeaky mouse on a string. But out of nowhere he turns on me. I have put up new toys and boxes trying to keep him occupied. I've never had a cat attack the way he does. He looks very angry when he does it. Sometimes I'll just be sitting on the couch and he will be napping somewhere, then he will get up and attack me with no warning.
I've had a lot of different cats and kittens growing up (we lived in the country and had a lot of animals abandoned near us and they would find our home), so I'm used to the play scratched and bites, those don't bother me. I also worked at a vet clinic specializing in cats, I was never attacked in this way. I've never seen this behavior before. And everything says when they do attack, dont respond, dont touch them, and go to another room. Well with him he latches on so hard and does not let go, then rabbit kicks me with his back legs and digs his teeth and claws in more. The only way to get him off is if I pull him off, or if my boyfriend is around and pulls him off. And if I pull him off and try leaving, he will immediately attack me again.

·
Registered
190 Posts
This sounds just awful! Maybe he's doing it because he didn't have siblings, or wasn't with them long enough to learn what kind of play behavior is acceptable.

It sounds like you're not doing anything wrong, but I'd try a few other things:
  • Take him to a vet and have his hormone levels checked
  • Keep his nails clipped, both the front and back ones
  • Get a time-out crate, and every time he attacks . . . hiss at him, scruff him, and put him in the crate for a short while

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
A vet check would be good to see if there is anything wrong.. I only experienced two incidents where I was attacked by a dog and a kitten .The dog was a rare breed who at one time friendly , then suddenly snarl and attack without provocation. My children were young at the time and the dog hated our daughter but was OK with our 5 y.o. son. One day he threaten my daughter, I intervened toldhim to go to the basement but he went right for my throat....He bit my hand but I managed to kick him down the stairs. This vicious attack was the final straw as I could not trust him, so he was taken to vet next day to be euthanized. I contacted the breeder and found out she had 2 other dogs from same litter returned to her, one dumped on her doorstep. She then told me that the bitch had been bred to one of her sons. Dog was bi-polar and too closely bred. Had a kitten that was the same, the queen had come into a silent heat, and she accidently got bred by her own brother. Out of 3 kittens in litter 2 were OK, but one was bi-polar.....a friendly purring kitten one minute and then a shreiking biting and clawing kitten the next. He also went to the vet to be euthanized, as he like the dog was a danger to any owner. It's possible your cat has this problem. Your kitten missed out with momacat & litter mates his important socialization training until he was 3 mos. old, and by rough housing and wrestling with his litter mates never learned to control his bite or claws or was disciplined by momacat cat with a bop on his head when he went "too far" with biting. He never learned to read cat body language. Orphaned kittens often never learn to control their bite. Some animals for whatever reason, do become a danger to their owners, and it is a hard decision to make as to what to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts