Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cats like raw meat but are never keen on liver (So far I only gave them chicken/duck liver). The first few tries were complete failure, but then I realized that it's because livers are too slippery for them. I saw them trying to pick up liver but it slipped through their teeth. After a few tries they got frustrated and don't want anything to do with it.

So I chopped liver into bite size pieces and mix them with meat. They were ok with that and will eat the whole thing. But recently they have been more and more reluctant to eat liver. Especially Metoo, who will pick liver pieces out and only eat meat :cussing I tried to dip liver into tuna water (Metoo loves tuna), but no luck.

So what can I do? Any idea why she dislikes liver so much? Right now I don't feed them all raw, they are still 3/4 on canned and 1/4 on raw, so I don't worry too much of unbalanced nutrition. But it prevents me from further increasing the raw food percentage in their diet.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I haven't. I'm not quite sure what is "freeze dried kind"? I just buy meat & liver from grocery store, freeze them in my fridge, and leave them under room temp a few hours before feeding. How do you "freeze dry" liver?

If I have to make a wild guess, my guess is it's the excessive amount of blood that they don't like. I noticed that liver leaves a lot more blood than meat after thawed. However, they seems to went crazy when smelling blood (though they wont drink the blood when I gave it to them).

Liver treats? No. I only gave them dried rabbit meat treats. Actually they don't get treats very frequently, maybe a couple per week.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Oh, no no. I go to Global Pet Foods. You can find treats labelled as 'Freeze Dried'. There's many types of meat to choose from. Some of it is liver. Perhaps in this form, they won't care because there's no blood visible and since it's dried, it's certainly not bloody.

You can google 'freeze dried treats' and it will show you what it is.

Actually I use these for my dog because the Asian supermarkets have packs of liver that are too big for my kids to finish before it spoils.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will give it a try for sure. I'm going to Global Pet Foods this weekend =D

Say, if Metoo likes it, then I will assume it IS the blood in liver that bothers her. Is there are way to dry out blood in raw liver by myself? That may save some bucks than feeding her commercial raw.

·
Registered
474 Posts
i read somewhere that maybe quickly cooking the liver on the stove might make it more appetizing to them? just so the surface is cooked but still raw on the inside? and gradually decrease amount of cooking over time so that they will have it completely raw.

i've not yet tried this, but my cats are the same way with liver. they love raw chicken but liver is something they will steer clear from.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I vaguely remember, isn't there someone on the forum who uses a food dehyrator? i think that would work. but i'm not sure how much the thing costs.

yeah l heard of lightly searing it. maybe she'll be ok with that.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks folks for the suggestion! I will give all of them a shot and let you know how they turn out with my pesky girls :D

If you have any access to it, you could also try getting liver from different animals. My cats really don't like chicken or duck liver either - but they love pig and cow liver. Just a suggestion of something else to try.
Thought about it. Not sure about cow liver but pig liver is definitely available here. But it's HUGE! Given that my cats are only 1/4 on raw, one pig liver will take forever to finish... I will try that when my parents come over. They know how to prepare pig liver dishes (btw, livers are yummy~ I just don't know how to cook it myself). So we can share with the cats :lol:

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
When I first started feeding raw, all my cats had something they didn't like. Azalia was fussy about liver, and the other cats hated fish. They had mixed feelings about tripe, and the list went on. I came up with a rotation of one protein at a time. I am not a big fan of mixing proteins in one meal (except for fish and liver, which I feed together) since they are 2 limited quantities type of foods so by feeding less, I can feed it once a week to balance everything out.

Basically, I would rotate all their foods, and if they missed a meal due to being picky, then they would eat at the next one. At first, I would serve the same meal again. It never took more than one skipped meal to get them to eat again.

Once, Azalia was being particularly finicky each time when the liver came out so I let the other cats eat it, and she missed her meal. After that, never again. Now, they eat whatever I put down. I have no issues with warming it up; they just eat it straight out the fridge after it's been thawed.

I usually feed twice a day so they never went without food too long, but once they understood that if they didn't eat at their meal time, then the bowl would go away and nothing would be offered until the next meal, it was a powerful motivator to eat what was before them.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thanks folks for the suggestion! I will give all of them a shot and let you know how they turn out with my pesky girls :D

Thought about it. Not sure about cow liver but pig liver is definitely available here. But it's HUGE! Given that my cats are only 1/4 on raw, one pig liver will take forever to finish... I will try that when my parents come over. They know how to prepare pig liver dishes (btw, livers are yummy~ I just don't know how to cook it myself). So we can share with the cats :lol:
Yeah, the livers from the supermarkets are big. We don't eat liver in our house so that wasn't a good solution. That's why I end up using the freeze dried kind. It doesn't go bad as fast at the fresh ones.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the freeze dried liver last Saturday. Metoo was not too thrilled, but at least she will eat it. However, that stuff is expensive! A small bag is like $4. Really I don't think I can make it her main liver source :(

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Got the freeze dried liver last Saturday. Metoo was not too thrilled, but at least she will eat it. However, that stuff is expensive! A small bag is like $4. Really I don't think I can make it her main liver source :(
Aw, sorry to hear that. It IS expensive, but a lot goes a long way. Remember you don't need that much, only 5% of the daily total. My cats also get some when they're eating the raw quail since the quail is whole.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.