Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first of all, this is my first post here, I sought this forum out because I'm honestly at my wits end, especially given recently that I've been trapped inside for obvious reasons.

At the start of this year, I purchased a new kitten - a purebred burmilla boy from a local breeder. The intention was for him to be a therapy cat, as I suffer from severe anxiety and am often alone in the house.

As a kitten, he's had all of his vaccinations and been spayed, all that good stuff. He's been on a diet of high-quality, premium food, as reccomended from our breeder, and he's got plenty of room, lots of toys and lots of attention. He's now about 8 months old, and yet, despite him being an absolute darling when he was a kitten, he seems to have developed a resentment and agression towards me that I just don't understand.

Earlier on - not that long ago, in fact, a couple months ago at the longest, he was coming up into my bed to sleep at night (even coming and sleeping right up on my pillow), he loved being hugged, enjoyed pets, would follow me around and play with me a lot... Now days, however, he absolutely refuses to settle in my room at night (instead he goes and jumps up onto my shelves or tries to dig through my things) he bites and attacks me constantly when I try to interact with him - usually not hard or enough to draw blood, but persistently. And every now and then, he will go into a crouched down "fighting pose", yowl at me, and snap at me, even when I'm doing nothing but sitting quietly on the floor near him.

What makes this worse is that he has not developed any such mannerisms to the other person I share my house with - in fact, he's taken to automatically going into their room to sleep at night, and will happily settle with them much more readily than me. It's become a rarity for him to spend time with me, even sitting on my lap, let alone up on my bed.

I haven't changed my behaviour towards him at all, I play with him, feed him, am affectionate towards him and do everything that I've always done, and yet he seems to hold some kind of hostility towards me and refuses to settle with me. It makes me feel like utter garbage when night comes and he trots off to the other side of the house to sleep in somebody else's bed, only to become agitated and energetic when I try to take him into mine. I used to be able to pick him up when he was sleepy and move him into my room and he'd settle with me then, but now he won't even do that, it's like as soon as he crosses the threshhold of my room he gets alert and will start rummaging around in my room, jumping up on furniture and knocking things over.

He still seems to hang around near me and doesn't seem afraid of me, he even purrs occasionally when I'm around him, but its like he flips between liking me and being aggressive towards me at complete random. I don't get it!

Why is my cat doing this? I feel like I'm doing something wrong, like he hates me. As somebody who desperately needs a therapy cat for comfort, his behaviour towards me (and seemingly exclusively me) is incredibly disheartening. Please help me.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through with your Burmilla who seems to have changed his personality with you. First of all was the "local breeder" you bought him from registered with a proper cat association, such Cat Fanciers' Assoc. (CFA) or The International Cat Assoc. (TICA), or was it a BYB (backyard breeder). Did you receive the kitten's registration from any one of the associations, and a contract from the breeder guaranteeing his health, vaccinations, return policy etc if you were not satisfied . Was he neutered before you got him? If not, it could be his hormones making him aggressive. Right now he's not living up to a Burmilla's personality traits of being a very sweet gentle loyal cat. Can you recall anything you might have done to him to have him dislike you lately? This cat is certainlly not being "therapy cat" for you, and in my opinion is not a good safe cat for you to own. Can you not have the other person keep his door closed at night, so the cat doesn't go in there. His attacks and bites on you are very puzzling, as you say he doesn't do it to anyone else. He may just be going through what I call the "terrible teens" during his maturation....and this can happen from around 9 mos. to over a 1 yr. old. Sometimes cats can switch allegiances with other cats.....from being buddies to being enemies from some strange event or happening, eg. having a strange outside cat jump on a windowsill and look into a house.which can really upset a resident cat or cats. This is most puzzling, and if I were in a similar situation would return the cat to the breeder, and get another cat, possibly a different breed, possibly an older cat whose personality and habits are more solid, as this Burmilla is not good for your health.
I really do hope things work out for you in these troubled times we're all going through with this nasty coronavirus. I pray for a good resolution for you. All the best!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Your cat and his odd, aggressive behavior sounds a lot like the way one of my foster cats acted when we brought him home earlier this year.

Bobby was probably a little less than a year old, and friendly enough, but would bite without warning. He had a skin condition that we were afraid was ringworm, so we avoided him for a while. Once we learned that it was allergies, I started giving him a lot more hands-on attention, which calmed him down a little.

But what "cured' him was getting a second foster cat of about the same age. They are best friends now, nap and play together all the time, including a lot of rough but friendly wrestling, and they both sleep with me every night. Bobby never bites me any more (knock on wood!) although he does still attack my husband's feet on the rare occasions that the old boy goes into the cat room to visit him. (DH has enormous bunions, and I keep wondering if they're just too tempting. :unsure: ) Bobby's new friend is a dream of a cat and I'm dreading the day when the shelter finds a permanent home for him---but only because Bobby will miss him so much.

Catloverami could be right that it's the terrible teens. If you determine that your kitty's personality change isn't the result of improper breeding, and you think he needs feline company, you might check with a local shelter to see if they have a cat of the right age who would be a suitable companion. A lot of shelters are looking for temporary foster homes right now. You'd need to keep them isolated for a few weeks to be sure the new cat doesn't have a communicable disease . . . and would have to introduce them correctly. There's lots on this forum about introductions.

Good luck. I hope you can find a solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first thought was that perhaps you've changed something like laundry detrrgent, cologne or soap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You could try buying Feliway, a diffuser that releases pheromones. We had a cat that suddenly turned aggressive towards her sister. I bought the plug in and it made a big difference. I now have to put a refill in about every 2 months because I will see that cat starting to get aggressive again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cats have a gland on their cheeks which when rubbed is very satisfying and calming to a cat. Simple advice, but if you can get close enough to the cat, try rubbing there and see if he likes it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.