Cat Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Your question about why she behaves the way she does is not one that I can answer. I am afraid that even to those of us who have lived with cats our whole lives, they are still sometimes a mystery and that is the nature of cats! We cannot really understand the mind of a cat. Sometimes this makes us love them more and sometimes it is simply frustrating.

But I think that the new home you have found for her sounds wonderful. This is very good news.
If, in fact, your cat came from the streets then she will probably be comfortable where she is being fed outdoors. And your relative must have something planned for the cats they feed for when they leave (if they leave), and this cat can be included in that. Maybe a neighbor takes over the feeding?

If your husband is having to live as you describe in his own home then I don't blame you for wanting to rush ahead, as counter-productive as that has turned out to be. Honestly, I would not be willing to live like that myself and commend him and you for your patience. To me, the situation you are in with this cat is not reasonable for your husband. In his place, I probably would have insisted that the cat leave before this. Getting this cat to a new home is in my opinion the best solution. I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
739 Posts
And one more question?
If she is afraid of him, and not feel comfortable with him, then why she always meows in front of the room that he is in?
Are there any explanations for that?
One reason could be that some cats don't like closed doors or to be cut-off from a room they want to go in. Another could be she still sees your husband as a threat and is stalking him. Or she may just want to be with your husband on her own terms. There's really no way of knowing the mind of a cat. We all just try to figure them out as we go.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Update.---
It's great that your relative is willing to take your cat! Have you asked him what he's planning to do about the other cats if he moves?
He plans to put the cats to animal sanctuary nearby (He beleives that there is a good one).
But honestly, I do not believe that an animal sanctuary can be good in my country. We hear so bad things about those places. That s why I hesisiate to give the cat to him.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
---Update----

We gave her gabapentin (which turned her into a furball), and my husband came to the room that she is in.
She is very friendly to him, and sleeps next to him all the time.
My husband plays with her and feeds her.
It is the third day we try this.

But of course, there is a big hallyway problem waiting for us...

·
Registered
739 Posts
Update.---

He plans to put the cats to animal sanctuary nearby (He beleives that there is a good one).
But honestly, I do not believe that an animal sanctuary can be good in my country. We hear so bad things about those places. That s why I hesisiate to give the cat to him.
I understand your worries, but it's a good option if things don't work out at home. It's very important that you, your husband, AND your cat are all happy with your lives.

·
Registered
739 Posts
---Update----

We gave her gabapentin (which turned her into a furball), and my husband came to the room that she is in.
She is very friendly to him, and sleeps next to him all the time.
My husband plays with her and feeds her.
It is the third day we try this.

But of course, there is a big hallyway problem waiting for us...
That's great news! Now that she's more relaxed on the Gabapentin, this is the time to get her used to all the things she was afraid of. You could try walking slowly and calmly up and down the hallway and into the room without any eye-contact or talking, and see if she follows. Give her treats along the way if she's calm, ignore her if she's not. If she does well after several walks with you and your husband, give her treats and praise. If she becomes upset, slowly leave the hallway and lead her to a safe spot, then quietly give her treats and praise.

And remember... it's very important for you and your husband to do this calmly and slowly. If she becomes nervous about something or has a set-back, you MUST remain calm and remember what you need to do about it. Go slowly and with confidence, and you should be okay.

Also, what is your cat's name? 😺

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Her name is Slim :).
And we call her baby slim, because when we found her she was a 6 old week kitten.:)

I have been giving her prozac(Liquid) in her favorite food (canned turkey) for 4 months. After four hours giving prozac I have started to give her gabapentin in her favourite food.

Now she refuses to eat her favourite food with prozac also the food with gabapentin.
Today I had to give her the medicines with wet food using a syringe between her teeth, she become really nervous, start to run away from me. Now I am thinking how will I give the medicines to her tomorrow:/

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hello to Baby Slim! Both of those meds come in pill form, which may be easier to crush up and mix with either a favorite wet food or a little bit of tuna fish so it covers the taste. When my cats need meds, we use Greenie's Pill Pockets for Cats, which are little tasty treats we put the pill in, and the cats eat them before they know there's a pill in them. You may not have that brand where you live, but you could ask your Vet about something like it.

I know this is hard, but you really are doing a good job and I admire all the work you've put into this!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hello you all.
I want to give an update about our situation.
She is doing great at the moment, we turned back to our normal lives.

She is still a little bit skittish, and still afraid of vacuum and hisses at the vacuum etc.
Also she is still sensitive to emotional conversations. (we try to control our voices...)

But we are doing fine :).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Hello People, we were doing extremely fine so far.

We have been on Prozac past seven months; and our vet decided to ween off prozac and we have tapered it slowly. Three weeks since she has been taking the last dosage of prozac.

And a week ago; she did her first attack to my husband in the hallway. and then not attack but growled on him next day after the attack

Today also she attacked my husband when she lie on his nap.

Do you have any advice??

41 - 52 of 52 Posts