Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a five month old kitten. when i bought her, they told me she was a female. i named her Daisy and she has been the light of my life since april. this morning, i took her to the vet for the first time since i've had her (i know, not good, but i'm a poor college student :( ) and the vet was checking her over when she suddenly gave me a funny look.

"what sex did you say this cat was?"

confused, i answered tentatively, "female..."

the vet bit her lip and looked concerned. "actually... this cat is male."

i don't think i've ever been so surprised in my whole life. my little Daisy, the sweetest cat i've ever had, feminine in everyway, is actually a boy.

i have no idea what to do about his name. i can't keep calling him Daisy, which is obviously a girl name. my mother thinks i should call him Desi, which sounds similar, but it doesn't quite suit him. in fact, NOTHING seems to suit him! this whole situation has completely blown my mind. i feel like i have to get to know my cat all over again!

has this ever happened to anyone else?

PS a pre-response to criticisms about why i didn't know his gender in the first place... why would i think to question what they told me? i've never owned a male cat in my life, and i never really inspected the genitalia of the female ones i've had in the past. his testicles are tiny, his penis is retracted into his body. it all looked normal to me!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can imagine how you feel.

A guy I used to go with found a stray cat that had three kittens in his garage. Two of them were light grey and one was an orange tabby. Well immediately they got names. His mother wanted to call the orange one Ginger, and he started calling one Fred. I was not allowed to have pets because of my mothers asthma and couldn't have one of my own but decided to call the other one Raincloud cause the coloring reminded me of a rain cloud.

Well, as time goes on and the gender got reveled we were all in for a shock... Ginger was a boy cat, Fred was a girl cat. Raincloud was also a girl cat (but raincloud aka "rain" sounds like a girl cat name so she got off easy) But we just kept calling Fred and Ginger by their names.

TO make a long point short (lol) I would just stick with Daisy, it might sound weird to you, but it is still your Daisy, the only thing that has changed since this morning is the fact that "she" turned into a "he". He is still the wonderful, loving (even feminine if you will) cat that he was before.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
He's still exactly the same cat, just with one tiny difference :) Same personality...and if it was pleasing before, it will still be pleasing once you get over the shock (we probably care about these things far more than the cats do). If you really want to change his name (and it's a very good bet that he doesn't care at all what his "people name" is), you could always call him "Dizzy." I'd also just stick with Daisy, if he responds to it...IMO, we only name animals for our own pleasure and convenience...they could care less. :wink:

Edited to add:
I have a friend who had a beautiful female cat named Louise, very unique and unusual looking. One day, Louise didn't come home. They (and their other cat, also female) were distraught. Several weeks later, the people up the road called and said "Louise is outside sitting on our picnic table." They went down, and there was Louise, a little thin and matted, but otherwise none the worse for wear. Joyful reunion followed, the other cat was thrilled to have her playmate back. After Louise had been home a few days, my friend happened to be holding her and checking for any mats or cuts, and suddenly said "Uhhh wait a minute...this is a *boy* kitty!" Bizarrely, he looked just like Louise (who was very striking and unusual looking), acted like Louise (sorta girly and cute), and even the other cat accepted him as if he was Louise. Now his name is Louie, but other than that, nothing's changed.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Gender can very hard to distinguish in cats. I still find it very difficult in young cats and I have been around them all my life.
I see no problem with keeping the name Daisy, especially if your kitty responds to it. Males tend to be very sweet, loving cats, why can't they be a 'Daisy"? :)

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I adopted Addison and they said he was a male, and had just been neutered. The second time I took him to the vet, they were like "are you sure this is a male? you never see these markings on males, almost always females" but he's definately a male. He's very girly too. When I post pictures, people seeing them often think he's a female. I think he's gay, lol, but I love him :)

It won't help much when I give him pink and purple toe nails, hahaha.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I always say what a sissy our male kitty, Surfboard, is. He's very very lovely and extremely needy. He cuddles all the time and demands to be petted in his special way. I guess it's kind of silly of us to impose our cultural gender stereo-types upon our kitties...but "gay" has come out of my mouth when describing him :oops:
My point, Daisy could still be a name that describes him well. He's still the light of your life and still the same great kitty. Like everyone said, once the shock wares off it will be okay. I couldn’t imagine the trauma of thinking of my kitty one way for months and then having to rethink my whole mental and emotional construct of my kitty. It may take your brain a little while to change all of the "she" memories into "he" memories, but once it does you'll be fine.
Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
423 Posts
When I was very young we had a cat that was male until she had kittens!!! 8O

Also we had 2 male mice that turned into about 20!! :lol:

How about calling Daisy, Davey, it's close. :D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
It happened to all 3 cats of ours.

First, we got Dunga & Yoda and they said they are males. We named them Bingo & Hadgi and then, when we found out they are girls, we renamed them to Dunga & Yoda.

Our 3rd cat was named Maugli - we thought she was male. We haven't change her name. I think it fits to a girl too.

:)

·
Registered
327 Posts
The same thing happened with my cat...i named her chloe..put a pink collar...and treated her like a girl ..i took her to the vet and she said that she thinks i should change "her" name! :/ i didnt wana change it too sometihng totally different because he was getting used to the name chloe :) so i named him Corey!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Well, I always new Gaylord was a boy, but sometimes it is hard to believe :lol: He is SO girly. He is petite like a girl cat, his face is dainty looking, and he is so needy and he has a high-pitched, feminine meow. But we love him :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I first got my cat, I was told the kitten was a she. Several months later, it became obvious that she was actually a he! By that point he was already coming by his name, Maggie, and I didn't want to change it. So he's been Maggie for 3 years now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow Katy, you must be in shock! Not that it really matters wether it's a male or a female, but after thinking for months that he was one thing and turns out to be another! :?

It also happened to me. They were giving away two kittens, I was asked wether I wanted male or female and I was dead sure I wanted a female. I wanted nothing to do with males, I'd been told that they were never home and weren't as calm. So my sis brought 'her' home, we took it to the vet two days later: male! We all were in shock, not knowing what to do. We went back and exchanged it (that was hard, even after two days!) This time we were told "Oh yeah, that's definitely a boy. But this other one's definitely a girl". Took it to the vet right afterwards: boy!!

So I guess we were just meant to have a male cat :lol: We kept the name Taby, which sounds a bit feminine.

But I've asked a lot of people and male cats tend to be more needy and cuddly. So it's all good :) Hope you can adjust to the idea soon!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well everyone thinks my cat baby is a girl and are constantly like come here lil girl All the time but the fact of the matter he isent lil and he isent a girl but it dont matter the least bit because he is cute and he got his gonads cliped so he aint very much different then a girl ^^

1 - 17 of 17 Posts