Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday a skunk sneaked into our enclosed backyard where we let our cats play. Our Tiggee was sprayed in the face by the skunk. He initially foamed at the mouth and could not open his eyes. We washed and washed his face with water and put lots of water in his eyes.
Today he is doing better but his whole joy for life is gone. He doesn't talk or purr at all. And the smell from his head makes it very difficult to cuddle with him. The other cats avoid him and will not play with him as usual.
Will he recover to his normal happy self? He is eating and drinking well and sleeps more than usual.
Any suggestions for the smell? He hates water so bathing is not an option.
Thank you.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Poor cat! Skunk spray doesn't just smell bad but can cause other problems especially when sprayed in the face. Did you call your Vet about it and tell them in detail what happened and how he's acting? You don't want to miss something now that could become a major problem later. And whether he likes it or not, he probably needs a bath! They should be able to advise you about that too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. What are problems are you referring too? He used to be a big talker but now he seems to have lost his voice. Will that come back? We did call our vet right away and they just said to wash his face with water. We called a second time and they said they did not see him.

·
Registered
Franny -- best cat ever! purring in my heart Porch cat THE DIVIT aka Divey seriously traumatized
50 Posts
Shock! your kittie just got skunk mugged in his own backyard by some weird critter who didn't have a pass, permission or an invitation to the party AND turned out NOT to be another kittie.

I agree with Miss -- a vet assist is a wise move because what you use to remove the stink may be hard on eyes and nasal passages, lips -- and then there is the licking that cats just gotta do of whatever you use -- go for a pro! Tiggee's face took the hit. --Skunk stink is an oily substance. The fix for the stink needs to be less traumatic than the skunk mugging. Go for the pro-- ahh, and just toss the box you tote kittie in to the vet. What the vet would use will not be harsh on eyes and safe when Tiggee licks it doing kittie housekeeping.
And while your are at it... you may need a plan to get the stink out of the back yard too or Tiggee may never revisit the scene of the crime.
I'd love to hear what happens --

·
Registered
Franny -- best cat ever! purring in my heart Porch cat THE DIVIT aka Divey seriously traumatized
50 Posts
oops -- I just read that the vet gave you a fast answer -- then! go on line and find search
neutralizing skunk odor on cat -- you will see a list of homeremedies -- however your vet opted for water -- here is a possible why.
I would choose a product intended for a cat rather than a home remedy since its on Tiggee's face that you have to focus. All the homeremedy stuff that dilutes oil could also sting ( a new trauma only it was associated with you) -- The vet saying water = safe and can not sting or burn or be an issue when the cat licks it. Amazon delivers! Pet soap is also going to help without stings. Dish soap is highly concentrated and has ingredients not great for eyes.
I get why the vet said water --
your vet would also have to get the stink out of the clinic, clothes, people -- etc etc.
skunk stink isn't deadly its just -- stinky!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your information. Tiggee is doing better and is almost back to his usual fun self. But he still smells so badly! His breath is like the skunk smell but I don't want him to think something is wrong so we cuddle as usual and I inhale that smell!! I avoided all chemical treatments because he always washed his fur. Hopefully the smell will dissipate soon.
Here is a photo of the skunk in action. We are trying to capture another stray cat we call Artee. Last night he came for food and the skunk (we called Waddlee) was waiting for the poor hungry boy.
Bird Plant Road surface Asphalt Phasianidae

·
Registered
50 Posts
Skunk stink is like garlic it will stay on Tiggee's breath for a while. Tomato juice wipe down will neutralize the smell but the source is still there. This skunk does not play well with others! But Tiggee and Artee have you as a guardian for recovery.
Tiggee bisous will be back to normal soon -- stay strong, you got this!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts