Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All 4 of our cats are there in the morning when I get up to feed them, and if they aren’t, they show up within 30 minutes. I’ve never gone to work without being able to account for them or at least seeing them for a bit in the morning before they go outside. One of our cats this morning started picking at the carpet in our bedroom at about 1:30AM which he is prone to do a lot when he wants out (even though we have a cat door, but he wants out the front door!) or wants to eat. I got up and ushered him out to the kitchen where I gave him a snack and then went to back to bed. It was raining pretty hard out so I’m sure he didn’t go out. I got up at 5AM and it had stopped raining and was clear skies. However, when I opened the food he didn’t come. Once again, not unusual for him to be outside, but come in shortly after. I left at 6:30 and there was no sign of him. I texted my husband at 8:30 and he said he didn’t see him anywhere either. He went out and called him but nothing. It’s a nice sunny day so he may be out enjoying the weather, but still odd for him not to be there even for a small appearance in the morning. He is very wary of people he doesn’t know and is always alert. If he thinks he hears someone coming up to the house, he runs and goes under the bed. He doesn’t roam too far. He’s usually in the front or back yard, but will go across the street or a few houses down the street. I’m at work for another couple of hours so we have no idea if he came home or not. I am so sick to my stomach hoping that he is there. We lost two cats in the span of 6 months 2 years ago so I am really upset. He is the last cat we’d thought we’d have to worry about because he is so cautious of people and things.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I feel for you and hope that he is there when you get home. Every now and then my cat gets off MY schedule and isn't home. I know the awful feeling but I hope he shows up like my cat like nothing is wrong. And my skittish cat has been in the house many times and I don't know where. I honestly don't know where he is hiding.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please let us know when he returns if not already.
He is home!! Although he didn’t come home until about 1AM. I wonder if he got trapped in a garage, but I find that odd since he went missing between 2 and 5AM and none of neighbors leave at that time. We had shut the pet door before bed so the others wouldn’t go out since we didn’t know what had happened and figured if he came back we’d hear him pawing at the door. Sure enough, I heard something and got up and there he was waiting to come in! He was very hungry and gobbled down a bunch of food, but wasn’t hurt or anything. I walked the neighborhood with treats and catnip when I got home, but got no response.

My stomach was in knots all day yesterday and couldn’t eat anything. A great way to go on a diet!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why do some neighbors have to be such jerks when you are looking for a missing pet?!

Our one cat was gone for almost 24 hours on Thursday, coming back in the early morning hours of Friday and I was so relieved to see him. Then on Saturday I get up and one of our other cats isn’t around. Once again, not unusual for her not to be there when I get up but 3 hours later and she hadn’t shown up at all which is very odd. She has a tracker on her so I go out and look for her. I walk all the way down our street and get nothing. I come back on the other side and start getting some pinging. She doesn’t have a GPS collar, just one that can track her up to about 400 ft or so and goes from red to green depending on how close she is. A house 3 doors down on the other side of the street seems to be where she’s at so I go back home relieved that she is nearby and should be back soon. An hour later she still isn’t back so I go out again and ping her and get her in the exact same place so I am starting to wonder if she got in their garage somehow. I don’t know the people that live there, but another neighbor of mine said that the husband came over to her house and was very hostile towards her about her cat being in their yard at one point so she no longer lets them go outside. There was a car warming up in the driveway so I assumed someone would be out soon as I didn’t want to knock on their door at 8AM. The guy came out and I told him that I’m looking for my cat and that I was getting pinging right around his house and was wondering if he had the garage door open at all early this morning. Well he was very smarmy to me and for some reason thought what I was holding was a garage door opener and not a tracker and for some reason seemed to think I was trying to sell him one and goes “ No, our garage door opener is MUCH more sophisticated than that” and kept on walking to his car. I explain that this isn’t an opener but a cat tracker and I thought he said to me “Where are you at?” meaning where do I live and I started saying I live up the street and he cut me off and said very curtly “No, where is the cat at?” Well I just explained to you that it appears to be around your house, but I say that again and ask if I can look in his backyard. He says to me “I’m late for work! Go ask my wife.” Good god! I go and ask her and she lets me go into their backyard. The cat isn’t there but it is beeping towards green so it should be nearby. I go around the side of the house and it is totally green meaning it should be right there but it isn’t. I can’t even hear her tag beeping. I then lift up a wood panel that is over their crawlspace and hear a faint beeping and a meow. She comes out from under there. I have no idea how she got in there as the opening was very small before I took it off. I was so happy to find her but am hoping she never goes around that house again because I don’t’ want to have to deal with him again!!

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Oh boy!! some people!! Thankfully you had a tracker on her and were able to get her, but things might have turned out differently if you didn't have that tracker. Whew! thank goodness you got her back. I don't let my cats go outside, unless it is in their cat stroller. I've had a bad experience many years ago when two dogs attacked my oldest cat and later he died.....so since then never have let my cats go outside. You never know what will happen. There is a family of coyotes that live in a local park in our town, and a lot of cat owners have lost their cats to them over the past few years.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, that guy could learn to use some empathy.

Our newest kitty Olive was outdoor-only when her "owner" moved away and we decided to adopt her. Found out a few weeks later she had been tagged right above the eye with a BB gun and it had healed over. The saddest part of the whole e-vet visit was how casually the vet mentioned that she sees it all the time. People can be evil. That instance combined with watching her cross our very busy street one afternoon made us transition her to an indoor-only kitty. As long as we play with her enough and give her a lot of snuggles she doesn't seem to miss her outdoor life much, although I think we got lucky in that.

It's a tough balance between keeping them safe and letting them experience the outdoor world. Love that you have a kitty locator and know where she is! Hopefully she finds better places to explore next time. Glad you got her back safe and sound!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UGH! Momo wasn't there again this morning. Exactly a week from the last time he disappeared! He was inside when I went to bed at 9PM last night but he didn't do his usual scratching at the carpet in our bedroom around 3 or 4 AM like he usually does. I got up at 4:30 and he wasn't in his usual spot of the back of the couch or the cat tree. The blanket on the back of the couch didn't even have his indent in it from laying there so he hadn't been there all night. Up until last week, he had never done this before where he disappears for an entire day, except for when we came back from a 2 week vacation and he ran out the cat door and didn't return until that evening. It was extremely windy last night so I am hoping he didn't go into something and then have it blow shut on him. He's not one to roam very far anyways and people freak him out so I can't see him wandering into someone's garage. Plus, it was night and windy and nobody would have had their garage door open.

I wish his tracker had arrived in the mail! I ordered it a week ago after he came back from being gone but it hasn't arrived yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts