Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 3 cats and 2 of them pretty much stay in the yard or close to it but the other one has always worried me because she'll roam and be gone for hours (maybe 8 hours being her longest absence) but has always returned. Every time she's off her routine I worry but she always ends up coming home so I told myself to stop worrying because she'll be back. She was even outside for the 4th of July because she didn't come home before the fireworks started and it was really loud in the neighborhood, but about 10 PM she came in the cat door and I was so relieved. Yesterday morning about 2:30 AM she came and woke me up because she was hungry. I followed her out to the kitchen and gave her some food and went back to bed. I think she went out the cat door right after. When she's out, she's always home by 9AM and in her bed sleeping. This time she wasn't. It was kind of rainy out and she's weird as she will go out when it's raining but still, I think she'd be inside after a bit to dry off. I would love to close the cat door every night to keep them in, but she will inevitably come and wake me up to let her out if I do.

She is microchipped and has tags and also has this TabCat tracker on her collar. It's not GPS but the beeper lets you know when she's nearby by showing red to green dots depending on how far away she is. I wish right now that we did have a GPS tracker on her to know her location! It's supposed to be able to track them up to 400 ft. I'm pretty sure she stays within a block of the house. We have walked the neighborhood with the tracker, we've driven it with the tracker and not one single hit. Where could she be?? The only thing I can think is a coyote or an owl got her and took her to another location. If she was stuck in a neighbor's garage, the beeper would have been able to let us know. She got stuck in the neighbor's garage overnight a couple of years ago and we found her with the beeper. Then a few months later she got stuck in a crawlspace in a house 3 doors down and we found her that way as well. She runs away from people so I can't see a person getting her and I can't see her getting into a vehicle. And it must have been in the early hours before dawn that she went missing so I can't imagine many people were out.

This is the third cat we've had go missing in 4 years! Two of our others went missing about 6 months apart from each other in 2016 without a trace and that's when we finally decided to get some kind of tracker for our other cats to keep tabs on them, and now Scooter is gone. My husband and I are so upset. He didn't go to work yesterday because he was upset and I work from home for the time being and can't concentrate on anything. I've posted on our neighborhood site, a lost cat site on Facebook, I've checked online at the shelter to see if she was maybe brought there.

Do you realistically believe she will still come home?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Maybe, if you're lucky! This situation is exactlly why my 2 cats are indoor cats and only get outside when I take them for walks in a pet stroller. Last time I had an indoor/outdoor cat was many years ago.....Max was old, liked to nap under a spruce tree at the front of our house and two stray dogs, found him, chased him to our back porch, and his screams had me running out the door where I saw a dog with cat's hind leg in his mouth and swinging him around like a hammerthrower. I screamed at the dogs and ran at them and the dog dropped the cat and I could see his flopping back leg had been fractured. Took him in to the vet and he repaired his leg with plates and screws, but the cat was 16 yrs. old and died less than a week because of the trauma, pain and stress of it all resulted in a heart attack. I vowed then and there I'd never have outdoor cats again. The trauma was terrible for the cat, myself, and my daughter was completely shocked and heartbroken as was I. He was her cat that loved to sleep with her every night. I still regret to this day that beloved Max had such a miserable end to his life.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She came home at 3AM this morning! Turns out the container on her collar that holds the battery for the tracker wasn't totally clicked together so that's why we weren't getting any signal on her. She could have been on the other side of the fence for the past 48 hours and we didn't know it! It's such a relief to have her home!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Lucky you! that's a relief. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts