Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hie all, i have a male Savannah F5 (let's call him S) who joined our family at 8 mths old. He is now 8 yrs old. We have a total of 6 cats currently.
He loves humans and gives them his undivided attention, he has impressed multiple deliverymen, guests, vets and nurses with his personality.
BUT at home, he can be quite the nightmare to handle馃槺
when he first came, he lived with 3 other cats and soon after started "attacking/preying" the smallest female in the home, we thought it was just his way of playing. A few years later, the smallest female passed on (she lived a good 17 years) and immediately we saw the dynamics changing (at this point we had one more cat, so we are up to 4), he started going after the oldest female (the Queen and fiercest one too) and it got baaaad, fights, blood at odd hours of the house.

We started asking the vets and no one could tell why, its like he is seeking to be the Alpha cat. Thus, we resorted to splitting them (S and Queen) into different parts of the house when everyone is at work.
A couple of years back, we adopted a stray cat which became his best friend and just 6 mths ago, we took in another cat and about 2 mths ago, he started eyeing the latest cat (C), chasing him, attacking him and he now has like an unhealthy obsession with him! Even when C is using the litter trays, he gets upset and will chase after C. Sometimes, he quietly approached C stretching his neck long and tall above C to intimidate him.

Ive even tried contacting his breeder, thinking its just his personality as a Savannah and even bought those Jackson Galaxy oils...it doesn't seem to work:(
I'm worried one day he will kill one of the cats...馃槶
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
If anyone has any suggestion, pls feel free to reply:)

Registered
I think it's his "wild" side just coming out of him.....and he does want to be the alpha cat in the house. Yes, I would be concerned too since I don't think there's anything that you can do for him to change his aggressive personality, that's just how he is. You would need to keep him separated from the other cats, just to keep peace and sanity in your household. It would be a hard choice to make, but since "he loves humans", he would do well as a single cat in a home where he would get all the attention. It would certainly drive me crazy wondering when S might kill one of the other cats. I wish you all the best!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hiee,
Thank you so much for the reply and suggestion catloverami:)
looks like separation is the best for now, we had considered moving him away but he is so attached to me that i know that my heart will break being separated from him:cry:
btw that's a pretty cat you've got in your profile photo!:love:

Registered
Maybe you could build your boy a Catio if you don't already have one.....he'd really like that. The white cat in my profile photo is a Devon Rex. I had Alkitotle for 12 yrs. and sadly died due to complications of diabetes, the other cat in photo beside her was Alki's companion Zuba a Devon Rex too, and he's still going strong into his 16th yr.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts