Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 kitties. 1 of them is mostly normal, he uses the skylight in my room to exit and enter the house and its something I gave up trying to convince him out of a long time ago. My window is quite near the rim of the house with a rather large drop so I do worry about him clambering over the roof but hes agile and stubborn.

The other cat is my main worry, shes worked out how to open the window enough to get out and once she does she SITS on the glass of the window while its tilted!!! Balancing! I've tried to convince her to stop by bribery and I really dont want to yell too much because if she slips theres no footing and it'll tip her right over the edge of my roof!

Even when I keep my window shut (which isnt really ideal) she goes out the back door and walks around onto the roof to sit and stare at me through the glass!

I'm at the end of my tether on how to teach her not to do it, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
To stop a cat or spitz breed dog from doing anything they've already developped a habit for generally requires so much negative reinforcement it is argued to be abuse or extreme supervision so you can stop them before they start. If you stop a behavior enough times long enough they will get out of the habit and if you replace it with a better behavior (another spot to sit in this case) you can do away with the problem. That requires 24/7 supervision though and with dogs that usually means a lot of time tied to me and with cats closing them in various rooms majority of the day and all night depending where I'm at. Easier to just find a way to block their access. Metal shelving panels have become my best friend. I own over 100 of the little square 14" ones for making shoe racks and such and about 8 of the 4-6' long ones. I can find a way to tie them together and nail, silicone, whatever them to block about anything. I just picked up a bengal from someone who used the metal panels to make a box that attaches to the outside of the window so the cats can go out the window and sit in the box. Safely suspended up high unable to get loose to run around outside or to fall but they feel like they are outside.

·
Registered
83 Posts
From a cat's point of view, this seems like a great place to sit to me. High up, outside, with a good view inside?! I don't think you'll be able to "teach" her not do it. Especially since it is not a place easily accessible to you. All you can do is try to deter her. Can you construct some sort of cage around the outside of the skylight?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts