Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. My cats are concerning me a little bit. They're litter mates, both boys, almost a year old now. They've always been super loving to each other and still are...but recently I've noticed their playing getting more aggressive. Lots of growling when they're gripping each other with their teeth etc. And literally chasing each other round the house over and over to the point where one of them starts panting (lol always a funny sight).

And just last night, I noticed the tabby had a red eye...now, i can only speculate if this was a result of their fighting.
But my question is, is this normal? And should i split them up when it gets too aggressive? (I'd put them in separate rooms).

Is this just an age thing since they're almost a year old? I do worry, and would hate to think they'll hurt each other by doing this.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
there are two schools of thought. one says split them up and the other says let them work it out between themselves. i tend to go with the "let them work it out" one because it's usually a dominance establishing exercise. unless they start to draw blood i wouldn't worry about it too much.

my younger cat is 2 and half the size of the 5-year-old but he can beat him up lol. it's actually funny because houdini chases baci mainly because he'll run. they used to really fight for a couple of months (no blood, but tufts of hair left behind haha) but it's very rare now. still lots of chasing.

jason galaxy from "my cat from ****" usually has two cats that are fighting tooth and nail, in a scary way where one is about to be killed, and he usually says they need to establish separate spaces for the cats so the one that is getting the worst of it will establish more self-esteem and stop cowering like prey. yours sound like they're mostly rough-housing though.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
They are neutered, right? If not, have them both done ASAP. For one year olds who are just coming into maturity and having the urge to "stake out their territory", it's sounds like pretty normal behavior for boys to me. Just make sure you have their claws clipped regularly, at minimum every 3 wks. Having sharp claws makes them more aggravated with each other.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies! Yes, they are neuteured, have been since they were very small. I don't clip their claws, I just don't see the benefit to them personally to do that...

Perhaps as you both say, it's just normal behaviour, but i'm thinking maybe it's also because i've moved a couple of times and maybe it unsettles them to move house, and then finding themselves in new territory is bringing out their aggressive side. I dunno, just a thought. I think it's ok for now...if it gets any worse I'll do some more worrying! lol. :)
Maybe i just have to get used to living with two tomcats for the first time! lol. :cat

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I try to trim my cat's front claws every two weeks. Otherwise they get really sharp. Trimming their claws would help them to not injure each other.

Mine wrestle and chase each other around the house too. Play-biting is OK, but if I hear an "ouch" meow, I usually try to distract one of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts