Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do my cats sometimes eat plants/grass etc? Is this normal? Occasionally they'll be sick, and it's obvious that the plant caused it. Recently, there's been no sick, just eating. Lol.
Help will be welcome.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Here is a list of toxic plants: ASPCA | Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants

Grass is good for them, imo. Periodically I swing by the organic section in my grocery store and buy them a little tub of wheat grass. They both love chomping on it.

I have to watch how much they eat though, MowMOw will make himself silly sick munching it. I can't have ANY greenery in my apartment. MowMow has a MAJOR thing for plants and will eat all of them. When I got him all my plants moved to work and the majority stayed behind when I got laid off.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does it mean there's a nutritional deficiency in their diet?
Not typically, no (perhaps if you're restricting their food heavily and they're very hungry). There isn't much that a cat could get by eating most plants anyway (they don't digest plant material very well, especially in a raw, unprocessed state). Best explanation I've heard is that it might add a bit of roughage to help keep things moving... although, as you've noticed, if they swallow a particularly large piece it can irritate the stomach and cause vomiting. Some cats seem to gnaw on the grass without actually eating much of it, so it might also help alleviate boredom or they might just particularly enjoy biting into things.

Do make sure any plants you keep in the house aren't toxic to cats; kitties can't always tell themselves. Any cereal grass is fine to offer, as long as kitty doesn't have an allergy or intolerance (e.g. if they're allergic/intolerant to wheat grain, choose another cereal grass to grow). It's fairly easy to grow a bit of wheat, rye, barley, rice, oats... just about any cereal grass you can get your hands on, really (but do remove any seedheads that appear, they tend to be hard with sharp ends).

·
Registered
239 Posts
I grow grass for my cat's as it is good for their digestive system if eaten in moderation :)

I had some really nice plant's that were all rehomed when I got my kitty's :) the big yukka plant's were too irresistable to my kitten's & they would climb up them as if they were tree's lol

my OH bought me home a bunch of red roses for valentine's & they lasted less than 24 hrs before the leave's were pulled off & eventually the vase was knocked off onto the floor ;)

same with the xmas tree, it looked beautiful when I set it up but within a week it was wrecked lol

I also grow catnip in window boxes as I do like a bit of greenery in my home & it doubles as a cat treat when I dry the leave's out for them to play with :) x

·
Registered
248 Posts
i have thoughts that dogs will eat grass too..i have heard its good for them, but don,t know the specifics about it.:-?

·
Registered
823 Posts
I buy my boys wheat grass from the organic section all the time. I attach the bottom of the little square container it comes in to a flat piece of cardboard so it doesn't tip over when they are mauling/chewing/licking/biting/playing with it. It gets lightly watered every two or three days until it finally starts to yellow, then trash it.

We call it Steve, as they do in the movie Over the Hedge.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ritz loves cat grass. If she eats too much she does vomit. At which point, I take up the plant so she can't eat it.
If you are considering growing it yourself, you can find cat grass seeds at almost any home improvement store or nursery. DO make sure you use organic soil, with absolutely no fertilizer or pesticides. These tips come from my niece, who has two cats and works for a landscaping company.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I buy the readily prepared cat grass seed's in organic soil from my local pet store, it contain's 4 different types of grass seed

my cat's have never vomited whilst or after eating the grass

in fact my cat's have never vomited unless are poorly or bringing up a fur ball :)

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
No reason for grass to cause vomiting unless they eat too much of it. My guys always check the grocery bags for interesting things the second I put them down on the counter.

I know Book is just looking for anything he can eat, edible or not but MowMow looks for special things for him, like the grass.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Both my cats eat grass, but ibbica is totally right that they don't digest it at all. How can I tell? I've got one cat, Moxie, who eats a TON of grass whenever she has the chance. Somehow she seems to just swallow blades of grass whole (compared to Sassy, who nibbles and has never had a problem with grass), and when Moxie eats too much grass she gets constipated. And let me tell you - that grass looks almost exactly the same when it finally comes out as it did before it went in 8O

That said, the grass never does her any harm, as long as I make sure she doesn't have too much at one time. Sassy is almost 15, still perfectly healthy, and she's had grass periodically her whole life. Although she's not as interested in it now as she was when she was younger.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Murphy loves grass, but like everyone else, he throws up after eating it. I got all excited when they said on My Cat From ***** that cats love eating parsley. I thought that might be a good indoor alternative for him. We got some parsley, and what did he do? Ignored it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yesterday morning, after Midnight, the wild cat, ate his breakfast, he left again as usual. I just happened to see him stop under a pine tree. Not unusual, as this is on his way into the woods when he takes the Eastern Route. Then I watched him for a while and he was paying particular attention to a plant under the tree. He was there for several minutes concentrating on that plant. Checked it later and didn't see any evidence of teeth marks. Just seemed strange.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I can't have ANY greenery in my apartment. MowMow has a MAJOR thing for plants and will eat all of them. When I got him all my plants moved to work and the majority stayed behind when I got laid off.
Right there with you Krissy. Rulos will eat any plant no matter its size or appearance. He's crazy. As a result, I can't have any greenery either, although I created a special place for plants that's behind a net.

I used to have this plant

that ended up being really toxic for cats.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My kitty Rum Tum eats cobwebs. He loves it. In fact, he goes out onto the porch every day looking for cobwebs a bug reminants to eat. Thinks it better kitty treats. He looks so funny when he comes into the house with cobweb whiskers! LOL! I wouldn't worry about the grass and plants. As long as they aren't poisoness, it should be fine.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong (i'm sure someone will :)) but i've always been under the impression that cats eat grass when they need to barf. that, in addition to the fact that they like greens and some kinds are good for them.

you can buy something called kitty greens, and i've seen several types of cat grass you can grow at home.

i don't feed them to mine but in '98 when diotima was still mostly a kitten, i had a lot of small plants growing for my window box. colorado weather is so bizarre that you almost never put plants out until after memorial day, just to be sure, (we usually have a beautiful spring in early march, everything blooms, then it snows and freezes and everything dies lol). i was very proud that i planted the seeds myself and grew them so nicely inside. both cats ignored them and i never thought about it. i was all excited to get them outside and when i came home from work that day, diotima had eaten every single one. just a lot of little boxes of dirt with stems sticking out of them. fortunately she did not throw up, that just would have been adding insult to injury. she was all happy too, kind of like, "thank you mommy, for putting all that salad out for me."

i had a gigantic dumb cane (the same kind as above only about five times bigger) (it was such a pain to strap with sticks to keep it from falling over) and they never touched that. it had a huge pot, and it's the one diotima started going #2 in when i was in the hospital. i don't think it minded, it just smelled really bad. but i threw it away when i moved and i have zero plants.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I think that's an old wive's tale, eating grass to vomit. Chlorophyl is good for them and mine certainly enjoy munching. *IF* they overdue, vomiting is guaranteed but I only let them nibble for a bit and put it away. Then offer it again later. They both love all kinds of greenery.

When I buy parsley and cilantro for cooking I always leave it on the counter in a small vase and they even chew on both of those. MowMow is partial to parsley. It doesn't seem to affect him in any negative way(he doesn't gorge himself on that though, as he would rye/wheat grass).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts