Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 month old cat Princess Leia has a very floppy tummy which sways from side to side when she runs.
I was going to take her to the vets but she's happy and healthy.. and when I researched this on the internet I read about it being normal in some cats who have been spayed and neutered.

Does anyone else have cats with floppy tummy's and should I take her to get examined. To be honest a trip to the vets is very stressful for her and I don't want to put her through it if it is unecessary!

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
A trip to the vet is completely unnecessary unless her belly is distended, hard-feeling, and uncomfortable. But what you are describing is sometimes referred to as a "lion's pouch" and is perfectly normal in a lot of cats, both intact and desexed. While it is commonly seen in overweight cats, it can develop in cats at normal weights, too. Nothing to worry about.

Laurie

·
Banned
602 Posts
Mia has a floppy tummy too. She has had one sence she was just a few months old. Shes 11 months now and it is very noticeable. She is not overweight either (10.2 lbs, tall and long). I dont think I have ever had a cat without one.

·
Banned
32 Posts
My 2 year old Jack has a "floppy" pouch!!! And I think its pretty normal. Hes not really overweight, but in NO WAY skinny.I wouldnt worry about it, my vet never seemed concerned!! Just don't let Leia know she has the "flop", she may get a complex!! LOL!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
yep , most of my cats have had it, even before being altered.. It really seems to a genetic thing on the amount of pouch they seem to have. some say that it gives them enough skin for those athletic jumps.. but either way its cute

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yup, my Mini has that. The vet calls it her 'spayed cat fat pad' though it sounds like it can happen to any kitty. She's a little pudgy, but just on that underside of her abdomen. Our vet said we can stand to improve her body condition a little, but once the pad appears it's really hard to get rid of, and not anything to worry about. As stated above, I don't think I'd make a special trip to the vet for it if Princess Leia is otherwise comfortable but you could always ask about it at your next check-up if you wanted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.