Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is putting a catnip toy in the carrier with them a good idea? I thought it might help calm them a bit even if they dont play with it... Simba is just anxious all around and Boo hates car rides. Ive never had this idea before, ive tried treats once which they didnt care about, but never catnip.

·
Super Moderator
26,357 Posts
I wouldn't use a catnip toy, you risk getting them hyper and maybe even aggressive with each other (I'm not sure if they share a carrier or not).

To be honest, nothing helps with my girls. They HATE being zipped up in their carriers, and the twins HATE the car rides (Cleo's quiet during car rides). They'll play in their carriers, sleep in them, eat in them, but the moment they're zipped up in them, all heck breaks loose.

I wish I had some good advice, I've tried some of the suggested tricks I've seen posted before to no avail.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Simba is quiet during the car ride, just big eyed and looking all around. Boo meows the whole way there as if she is saying "help". its very stressful for her. But then, when at the vet, she doesnt want to come out of the carrier, we had to take the roof off of it last time!

But they do have separate carriers, if that helps at all with the idea of toys.

·
Super Moderator
26,357 Posts
It actually helps my twins to be in the same carrier. I still wouldn't use catnip. Depending on their reaction to it, it could increase their heart rate and/or temperature and give a misleading reading at the vet. Vets already allow for some stress in their readings.

But I'm certainly no expert, others probably know more about this.

My twins make those little helpless meows, too. So sad.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just had another thought... I don't want them to begin to associate their toys or catnip in generAl with the vets, the carrier, the car, etc. So I think I will skip on the toys.

They've survived before. I just hate how much they hate it... :(

·
Super Moderator
26,357 Posts
I do, too. They ignore toys, their favorite treats, everything. Fortunately, my vet is only about a 3-5 minute drive now. But I dread it every time.

Yet, when I get home, they love their carriers again. Right away.

Brats.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
It's a little late to suggest now, but you might look into Feliway spray, and spray the inside of the cat cage before you put the cats in. A lot of people notice it has a calming effect.

According to Google Maps our vet is 140 meters away. 450 feet... yet we still drive there, and the cats still don't like it, but we aren't walking them over, if they were dogs we would skip the hassle and walk over.

So even with the shortest trip imaginable there's still stress.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our vet is about 10 minutes away driving. (or like an hour walking, too far! lol).

I should look into that spray. I just hate how i cant explain to them what is happening and why.

They both checked out really well though!! Its always so comforting to hear the vet say that everything feels and sounds in check :) Simbas a little chubby, but we already knew that. His brother who lives nextdoor who eats different food on a different schedule (meal times) is just as chubby. definately a genetic component there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts