Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my significant other and I moved in together, I had 2 dogs and he had 2 cats. It is now 3 years later and they still don't get along. The dogs are both over 50lbs but the cats beat the crap out of them! Has anyone else had this problem and is there anything I can do about it? I've tried putting the cats in crates and letting them smell each other and forcing them to sit on the couch together...but it always ends with the dogs getting scratched in the face. The dogs don't bother the cats at all, but the cats refuse to accept the dogs. They even attack the dogs out of nowhere and force them into corners. HELP! (FYI, we also have a bird that everyone gets along with.)

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can try the sitting on the couch thing but hold your cat by the scruff. Start out by holding it tight to secure your dogs don't get a kitty slap to the face. Gradually loosen your grip and massage the scruff (my cats love this) so that your cat applies a good feeling to your dog being there. You can also try treats, petting, and anything else that you know your cat likes.

Make sure the couch is a neutral territory in the house. If your cat is always on the couch, he might think the dog is trying to take over his territory. Do it in a place in the house that your cat does not pass by usually so that its territorial instincts do not pop up.

Have you tried playing with both of them at the same time? Nothing makes them bond more than chasing a ball together. It's how I got my older cat to like my poodle and they now play together without me. :p

1 - 2 of 2 Posts