Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
how could something so cute and fluffy smell so horribly bad we want to gag when he goes as it floats down the hallway in the living room? He eats good food we keep him well best we can from eating human food but its bad. It even woken us up before. We immediately spray smelly to cover it up all our sense sprays go off as well. so what is going on. My 8 yr old lab doesnt smell this bad. Good food lots of water and his digestive system is fine.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
What are you feeding him? Has he been to the vet for a wellness check? Both type of food and if there are any parasites would hame an impact on the smell.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
How long have you had him? Maybe its just the change of food for him. Is he covering up his poo? (Maybe it's the litter). I was going to say on the food to avoid fish, but it looks like the Iams is OK. I would ditch the Special Kitty brand food though.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Iams is not a very good food. It could be the cause of smelly poo. Is it possible to give him something better and see if the situation gets better? If you feed dry, I would recommend Orijin or Wellness Core. If you feed wet (which would be better than dry), there are quite a few good brands, such like Natual's variety, Wellness, Evo, Merrian.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Yeah, Iams will sure do that. Think about switching to a good grain free canned and it'll improve a LOT. I had forgotten how some food do that until I got the kitten last September. He was on Iams at the rescue and WOOOOOOOO.... I couldn't change him fast enough. He'd come out of the box and even MowMow would look like "WT? DUDE?"

If you want odorless, look into our raw food section to learn how to raw feed the kitty.

·
Registered
716 Posts
IAMS, contrary to popular belief, is NOT a good food. Unfortunatly many vets are not up to date on their feline nutrition education. Please consider switching to a grain-free canned or raw diet. I guarantee it will cut down on the smell.

When I adopted my cat, he came with a bag of Science Diet food. My vet told me that it was a good food. My cat also STUNK! His poop stunk, he was gassy, his breath stunk, it was gross.

After doing some research, I switched his diet to grain-free canned and now I don't even notice when he goes to the bathroom because I don't smell it. His poop is also now probably half the size that it used to be.

Here are some good links to get you started:

Switching Foods | Little Big Cat

10 Reasons Why Dry Food Is Bad for Cats & Dogs | Little Big Cat

What’s Really in Pet Food

Many people on this forum, like myself, have learned the hard way......

I fed my last cat nothing but IAMS dry food. After dealing with urinary issues, I lost him to lymphoma. That led me to do research into food, and has left me feeling to blame for his pain. I had no idea that dry food was bad for him, as I worked for a vet who recommended a dry food only diet. It is so important that people do their own research when it comes to this type of thing. The problem is that so many cats are overweight and unhealthy, that it has become the norm. It is not normal for cats to be overweight. It is not normal for them to smell bad. It is not normal for a cat to have diabetes, kidney failure, urinary blockages, exsessive shedding, vomiting, and hairballs. These are all things that can be attributed to poor diet and can be, for a large part, prevented with a species-appropriate diet.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I've never fed Iams, but Io's poos/farts can clear the apartment with certain foods. (Most notably the bargain brand "Great Choice" at Petsmart. It was $0.99 for 13 oz, and the ingredients list actually looked a lot better then comparable brands, lots of meat listed first).

She didn't even eat it, just licked the gravy up, and within about 4 hours we were lighting candles and opening windows.

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Dry food? I would switch to a super-premium grain and carb free canned (Evo 95% meat formulae are pretty much the only foods that meet this criteria). If that doesn't work (or if you want to skip that step and go right to the best!) switch to raw. MANY cats have IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), one of the main initial markers for which is smelly poops. Eventually the cat will develop diarrhea, will stop eating well, may vomit, etc. Long term, IBD can result in lymphoma of the GI tract. :(

My Calvin had all the IBD symptoms. My vet pooh-poohed my suggestion that it was IBD. I took him off commercial food and switched him to raw. He was supplemented w/ B12 for 3 months (b/c IBD cats are all B12 deficient due to malapsorption issues), then weaned off it. Calvin went from smelly poops, losing weight, poor hair coat, general misery to happy, healthy, perfect weight, completely odorless poops, and glistening coat in less than 8 weeks. We have never looked back and all the other critters went to raw too b/c of that.

More on IBD: Feline Nutrition & Raw Diets for IBD Cats

feline ibd - cat nutrition

More on other reasons not to feed kibble to cats: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Commercial raw can be considered as well. Wag.com has free shipping and Bravo! brand is looking pretty cheap. Type "wag" into the coupon code for a steeper discount. I'm headed that way the first of July when my canned food is used up.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Anyone considering Bravo...be careful about which formula you're purchasing. Most of them are not nutritionally complete, only the Balance is complete.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm he is about 11 months old right now. He poop has stinked since he was a kitten. loss of appetite um no he eats very well and constantly when its avail and drinks no diarhea but yes i think i will go get some nice health dry cat food for him at a higher end pet store.

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Hmm he is about 11 months old right now. He poop has stinked since he was a kitten. loss of appetite um no he eats very well and constantly when its avail and drinks no diarhea but yes i think i will go get some nice health dry cat food for him at a higher end pet store.
Again: dry cat food is not good for cats. Please read the links. The catinfo.org page has TONS of great info.

The fact that he's not yet horribly sick should not stop you from improving his diet. It is not normal for cats' poop to stink. Carnivores use most of their food and what is eliminated is truly waste. When you give a carnivore carbs (in ALL dry foods an 99% of canned foods) it is eliminated in almost the same form as it went in, b/c carnivores are incapable of digesting it. So you are paying for something that cannot be used by your cat and that will be pooped out in stinky form.

If your cat does not have (or get) IBD, he's far more likely to develop another problem caused by dry food--for instance, diabetes or urinary tract problems. He's young and if you switch now you can prevent all that.

Please read the links. I particularly recommend spending some time reading the entire site at Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

·
Registered
168 Posts
I knew right away from the first post you weren't feeding him good food. Cats on a proper diet, unless there is an underlying issue, do not have stinky poop. What made you think Iams is good for your cat? Did you see that on a commercial?

When I first got my cat from the shelter, she was on Science Diet dry food and canned food (not sure what kind). I kept giving her the SD dry food that was given to me and canned food, and she wasn't eating all her canned. He stool stank like crazy. We could smell it right away when she pooped, and we could smell it anywhere in the house.

I was concerned about her not eating all her canned food, so this is when I started researching diet. I needed to find out if it would be OK for her to just eat dry, and what could happen if I allowed that. This is when I found out all the horrible things about a dry food diet, and began transitioning her to fully canned right away. It wasn't hard at all, once I stopped giving her dry food, she had no issue eating all her canned food.

Then I slowly transitioned her onto raw. A huge bonus of feeding raw is that the stool has no odor at all. I don't know she has gone to the bathroom until I go clean her litter box and actually see the evidence. But even if you can't do raw, if you can at least feed a grain-free canned diet, not only will the stool smell be much less extreme, but your cat will also be healthier. Win-win.

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
Cats on a proper diet, unless there is an underlying issue, do not have stinky poop.
My girls are on good food and every once in a while, they can clear a room. Or two.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I have to agree with Marie as well :p My guys are on top shelf canned and occasionally Shepherd Book will make our eyes tear.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What do you all think about Royal Canin? Just as bad as IAMS or better?

I don't think there are any "grain free" pet foods in Australia (well none that i have come across)

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
What do you all think about Royal Canin? Just as bad as IAMS or better?
Better, but not good. And all their 900 gazillion different formulas are all a marketing ripoff as far as I'm concerned, which really makes me lose respect for them as a company.

I don't think there are any "grain free" pet foods in Australia (well none that i have come across)
Of course there are. One of the best grain free foods is an Australian company...Ziwi Peak. And many US/Canadian brands are available in Australia.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts