Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel so bad. I'm sooo good to my lil' Lexx, but I just noticed that his back teeth have quiet a bit of brown stuff built up. I'm assuming this is tarter, and I'm assuming this is not a good thing.

So now my question is... what do I do from here? Is it possible for me to clean it, or do I have to make a visit to my vet?

How do I prevent this tarter build up in the future?

Thanks in advanced.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
The best way to prevent tartar is to brush your kitty's teeth. There are cat toothpastes and brushes available. I brush my kitties' teeth everyday and it takes about 2 minutes for the lot of them.

Now that the tartar is already present, however, brushing cannot remove it. The tartar must be removed by your vet. If the tartar is that bad, your kitty may have cavities as well, and thus need extractions. Your best bet is to book your kitty in for a dental appointment.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Ditto what QOTN said: time for a vet appt to get the existing tarter off, and have them show you how to brush his teeth to keep them clean. I also clean my kitties' teeth daily, and just bought some extra-soft tiny (human) kid brushes today to try out; the old pet brushes are due for a change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts