Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat is about four or five. She eats mainly wet food, and about every other day she has some dry food. Today when she was sleeping, i gently pulled her lip up, and noticed one of her teeth on the side is loose. She is her usual self, still eating etc. What should i do, is this normal or not?

·
Registered
19 Posts
hi Hannah,
I have never had a problem with a cat having a loose tooth. You may need to consult a veterinarian however, as this does not sound like a normal thing. hopefuly someone more expirienced will come around and answer this post.
Please keep us posted! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Abra, thanks. :) I have another question, is it a bad idea to feed her dry food from now on, should i just stick to wet food? :( :?

·
Registered
19 Posts
you know I am Deffinately not an expert, but if I were in your shoes I wouldn't let her have any solids until I found otu what in the heck was going on!
Good luck, Im here for you! :D

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hi Hannah,

I'd stick to the wet food diet because it's so much better for kitties. Also, dry food doesn't really help keep the teeth clean. You'll need to take your cat in every year or so for a dental cleaning to keep those teeth healthy. You might also consider getting a kitty toothbrush and kitty toothpaste (don't use the human kind) to brush your cat's teeth at home.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
If she has a loose tooth than this is likely indicative of dental disease. You should take her to the vet ASAP, because cavities and loose teeth are very painful.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yes, a loose tooth is very painful; please take her in to the vet as soon as possible!

Dry food does not clean the teeth, and has many other negative health impacts.

Cats can develop tartar, gingivitis, and periodontal disease on *any* diet. Regular dental care is always imperative to keep the teeth and gums healthy.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts