Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mistletoe is 10 months old. I adopted her in December from a shelter. I know that she has pet induced aggression. But I've noticed something else. Unfortunately, vet school has required me to be away from home for longer than 8 hours. On those nights, she has been especially crazy. She chases after my ankles, she goes crazy around the house and basically acts totally crazed.
Do you think that getting her a young companion would help her? When I'm not there to play with her, she would have another cat to play with? Has anyone gone through a similar situation?

I just want her to be happy!
Thanks!
Deirdre

·
Registered
454 Posts
sunshine9 said:
I just want her to be happy!
It may be that all she wants is to make you happy too. :)

She may feel that you'll be happiest if she gives you plenty of playtime. My cat offers playtime as effort to stop us from going to bed sometimes, or going out somewhere. It's obvious when she does it that it's her effort to bribe us with something she's sure we like. While we may think we're doing for our cats, our cat's may be thinking they're doing for us.

Getting another kitty would probably be helpful in giving her a playmate, but I don't think it'll totally cure the situation. Mostly, because she'll still have eight hours anticipating a chance to please you.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Another kitty will definitely help some since they can chase each other around and play with each other. Also if that is not enough, you can try setting up play time with them after you come home from work so that way they can let out all their pent up energy. :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts