Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to switch over to raw, but with the finances taking up most of my time and energy the past few months, I set the idea aside for a later date. So instead I've kept my girls on canned. At first I thought the cheapest way to go was Fancy Feast (the few that don't have wheat-gluten in them), so thats what I went with. Then I saw some discussion about Trader Joe's cat food, and I was interested...I could feed my cats more, for less money than even the Fancy Feast, and it's a food thats actually not too bad ingredient-wise.

So whoever mentioned TJs in the past month or so, thank you! I had actually never been in one before, and I had no idea they even had cat food. I've made the switch, all three of my cats love it (very rare as Rochelle is picky!), and it's easy on my wallet. :cool

After making the switch, I decided a real diet was needed for Samantha, as her weight was a little high at her last vet visit...11.5 lbs! I had been cutting down on her meals previously just slightly, but I could see it wasn't enough. I cut down treats to once a day, and made sure they were a more natural type of treat, either a small bit of raw or a 100% Salmon Fishie treat. I made sure any human leftovers were put away immediately so that she couldn't be tempted to climb on the counter the second we were out of sight, and I made sure she had absolutely no access to the other cats dishes during mealtime. I bought a small cat fountain because I was worried they weren't drinking enough, and they just love it...I find they are drinking much more water now.

After a month and a half, Samantha has gone back to the vet and is now 10.7 lbs...she lost almost a whole pound! I think if we keep this up, and lose another pound, she's going to look nice and svelte again. :)

Anyone else have any diet stories to share or any tips?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Azalia was a bit under 13 lbs back in June...

and yes, she was chunky not big-boned...lol.

I switched her off the kibble gradually and now I feed one meal in the morning canned (about 1/2 a 5.5 oz can) and one raw meal at night. She's now about 10.5 lbs and has maintained that weight for the last 2 monts or so. She's a big cat so this is not a bad weight for her. I would love to see her down to an even 10 lbs, but we're working on it. She's not the most active cat in the world and is not very playful...only when she feels like it.

She now runs around a lot more wrestling with Egypt, and has way more energy. At her heaviest, she had some breathing issues, which also have improved tremendously since her weight went down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts