Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home with 30lbs of round steak, chuck steak, and shoulder steak for a whopping $8.00!

I pay upwards $3.00-$4.00 a lb for the cheapest beef, so this was an absolute STEAL. Beef is by far my kittens' favorite so I can't be happier. :)

Feel free to post YOUR craigslist "steals"! I'd love to know. :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have two favourite hauls! One, I got literally a WHOLE upright freezer AND the meat for free (they had put in an order, I got well over 400lbs of meat). They were moving and didn't want to take it with them!

The other was a hunter who gave me everything in his freezer, so I got a whole whack of venison PLUS a whole bunch of game birds!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Everything in our house is from CL just about!! For real!! The latest we got was an enormous cat tree that the guy built himself. Way bigger and sturdier than store bought ones for FREE. Seriously this thing is 6.5 feet tall !!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have two favourite hauls! One, I got literally a WHOLE upright freezer AND the meat for free (they had put in an order, I got well over 400lbs of meat). They were moving and didn't want to take it with them!

The other was a hunter who gave me everything in his freezer, so I got a whole whack of venison PLUS a whole bunch of game birds!
First, your cats are so adorable.

Second, a free freezer AND 400lbs of meat? You must have done something really good--that's some major karma!

(I read this aloud to my cats and they are no longer as impressed with me since I do not have this kind of good fortune. I then heard a lot of whispering and overheard "pack our bags" and "move to the place with the upright freezer and 400 lbs of meat", "pscht, she doesn't even have a meat grinder yet", "venison, all we get is chicken", "midnight, set your clocks"....

So don't be surprised if you find yourself with some wayward felions on your doorstep soon.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Craig's List isn't a great option for me because we don't have a local one, though a few local folks do post on the one from a town about 60 miles away. I did get a HUGE free chest freezer off of CL this summer, though. Well, not exactly free since I did have to hire a guy to go get it for me.

I do get TONS of free and cheap meat by posting ads in my local free shopper and local Freecycle list. At this point, enough folks in my area know that I'll take old freezer meat that they'll call me out of the blue or sometimes even just show up in my yard with meat for me. This is a great time of year to advertise for meat because hunters are cleaning out their freezers to make room for this year's hunt.

I feed 17 cats and 3 dogs Raw Prey Model, and the only meat I ever have to buy at a grocery store is 40# boxes of chicken backs and necks as my edible bone source. I get all of my muscle and organ meats for free or really cheap (30¢/lb).

Laurie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts