Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I contacted some rescues last night about a paralyzed kitten I had seen on craigslist to see if any could help. A couple of them responded but were unable to get the kitten, and one I talked back and forth with today. I asked the contact if I could help out in any way because they seemed really organized and responded so quickly, and she said they had just pulled 39 cats and were desperate for foster homes. I filled out a foster application and checked out their website and contract, and a couple hours later I am sitting here looking at a list of cats out of the 39 and deciding which one I will be fostering.

I passed on a mom and 5 kittens, tempting, but too much for a first go around, and I think I'm going to pass on a pair of young kittens. I think one will be good to start. My choices are a tuxedo mom whos kittens were adopted, she needs to chill for two weeks and then be spayed, and three other older kittens, a tabby, a torti, and a lynx point, that were together but can be seperated.

I will update this thread and let you know who I end up with and how it goes for anyone who's interested.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Congrats! And just a warning, once you start its hard to stop :) and its so easy to want to keep them all lol.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I told the lady that she was going to have to send me pictures of uglier cats if she didn't want me to keep them. :) That's part of the reason I passed on the mom and babies, I knew I would want to keep one, and I really really can't.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is Payton, she is going to be my first foster. :) I will be shocked if she doesn't go fast.

·
Registered
716 Posts
beautiful!!! i love white whiskers on a black face :) and the fluffies, of course

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She's here, and she is a very pretty, very tiny girl. I let her explore downstairs while the other animals were upstairs, and now I have her in the master bathroom with litter, food and water. I'm supposed to wait a couple weeks for her milk to dry up (her kittens were adopted last week) and then take her for her spay, but I'm like 99% sure she's in heat again already.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
good for you for fostering! i always find it strange how so many beautiful, lovable kitties can NOT have homes already. there just aren't enough animal lovers in this world to take care of the growing need. but we are all doing our part in our little parts of the world, so that's the best we can all do. enjoy life with little Payton!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Payton also definitely has coccidia....she is already on Albon, the lady that had her previously warned me that she had been exposed and had already been started on meds, so we'll see. I have her in the master bathroom with her own box, the rescue told me they will pay for meds for all my animals if need be, but hopefully no one else catches it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Payton also definitely has coccidia....she is already on Albon, the lady that had her previously warned me that she had been exposed and had already been started on meds, so we'll see. I have her in the master bathroom with her own box, the rescue told me they will pay for meds for all my animals if need be, but hopefully no one else catches it.
Just be careful about washing your hands after touching her, and don't share things like litter scoops or toys, and you should be fine. Thats awesome that they are willing to pay for your own animal's meds, mine would not.

My momma cat went into heat when the kittens were about 8 weeks old. Poor baby! Hopefully they can spay her soon. It shouldnt take any more than a week for her milk to dry up

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats awesome that they are willing to pay for your own animal's meds, mine would not.
Yeah I was not expecting that, they've been great so far, they told me not to hesitate to take her to the vet for any reason, but hopefully this will clear up quickly.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've never dealt with coccydia before, wow, nasty. I ended up calling the vet today, her poo is like water, she isn't eating or drinking, and she's sneezing on top of that. :( On the upside, I really like this vet, I'm thinking about switching my whole crew.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Congrats on taking the leap! Fostering has been such an amazing experience for me. Sure it is hard to say goodbye (especially to your favorites!) but it is so fulfilling to know you have saved each one of them.

You'll find the longer you do this, how much junk they can come down with being in a shelter (or hoarding) environment. Coccidia is nasty, but will clear up with Albon. URI's can be much less responsive depending on how long she's had symptoms. Because she's not a kitten she has a better chance to beat it with antibiotics and a healthy home environment but I would keep her isolated for at least two weeks and wash your hands all the time!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts