Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Aww what a cutie. I would love to foster someday. I was at the petstore today and they had at least 20 kittens there in need of homes and I thought my heart might break.

·
Premium Member
7,857 Posts
Aww, thank you for giving this baby some relief. Why so long at the shelter? Does the shelter not have an advertising budget for these babies? If you are interested in helping her find a permanent home, try posting on Craigslist or other social media like Facebook. Our very large shelter has an active FB page and we post to web links like Petfinder and our own website, but that is the extent of advertising. I post adoptable cats on Craigslist on occasion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why so long at the shelter?
I think it is hard to place some of the older cats, and this kitty is additionally extremely reserved. He loves every bit of attention that you can give him and tolerates everything (nail clipping, being picked up, etc), but he wouldn't approach. He'd watch people and wait. With that kind of personality, it's easy to get passed over. I couldn't overlook him, though, because I couldn't get over his very uncanny eyes and his very (I think) non-cat-like penchant for looking me in the eyes.

My plan is to adopt him myself. :) Fostering this kitty was a good transition for my husband and I to get used to a new cat (especially my husband, who never had a pet before our cat that recently passed away).

It might be good to talk to someone about how to best promote cats for adoption. I've been pondering whether a seniors for seniors or similar program might help some of the long term residents find homes. I volunteer socializing the cats, and there are many very nice ones who would be great pets.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
He's a very attractive cat. I agree that seniors get passed over, everyone wants kittens 'cause they're so cute. If I ever get another indoor cat, it will be a senior; I'm old and we'll understand each other. :)

·
Premium Member
7,095 Posts
How wonderful that you and your husband were willing to give him a home! He is beautiful and looks so dignified!

·
Premium Member
7,095 Posts
demoiselle, I'm fairly new to Roanoke - moved down here 6 years ago after nearly 45 years in the northeast. Two very different cultures! :)

7 years at the shelter! He is soooo lucky to have found you!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
He's lovely!

When I first read your story about him, and how he had been in the shelter for 7 years, I must admit to my heart being tugged a bit!

I think you have done a wonderful thing by giving him a home.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Adelea, he has done a wonderful thing coming to live in our home! He's made me very happy and is an impeccable gentleman with perfect apartment manners. He's totally different in personality from my late kitty, but sweet as can be. He's a total sensualist who loves food (which I have to limit), petting (which I can give almost unlimited amounts of), and sleep (he can do that as he wills). He truly never gets enough, and he is so grateful and happy with his new circumstances.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Jasper is very handsome! His eyes are kind of mesmerizing. It's wonderful that he has a home now with you! Lucky kitty, lucky you.

Mylita

1 - 19 of 19 Posts