Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mama - Look at those massively long whiskers! She is super friendly too, more than willing to leave her babies to rub on your legs.

And the lil' ones. :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, they are pretty adorable. So fluffy too! :) How nice I have a home for one already! Can I have a deposit for her, lol. ;)

All my mamas so far have been excellent moms. Until now, I walked in and all babies are crying and crying. :( So I place mama on her side and they were soooo hungry, but she will only stay that way if I hold her there. I'm not happy. I'm giving them some other foods to make sure they are full. When she was at the shelter she fed them, I am wondering if I need to put her in a smaller space such as a large crate. Because she was in a cage and did well. I was looking forward to a drama free easy foster this go round. Lol. Guess I was wrong. :)

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Yeah, with large litters, sometimes the mammas just get fed-up with feeding and will avoid it as much as possible. If there is no where for her to escape the kittens' nursing attentions, then she cannot help but provide. Maybe give her some breaks every once in a while.
I remember Shadow sitting up on the bathroom counter and watching her babies tumble and play below her. I always felt she was taking a mom-cation from the babies when she hopped up there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh she gets plenty of breaks! I start my litters out in a walk in closet where the open area has a board up so they cannot get out. This keeps them from pottying in inappropriate areas, the box is right there so they use it. By the time they can climb over it they are reliably using the litter box and the board comes down. But mom can hop in and out. It's quite the system I have. ;)

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
We must be twinions because I do the same thing w/ the master bath. I have a door-sized blockade that fits perfectly to allow the mom-cat into the master bedroom while the kitts stay in the bath. By the time they can get over it, they are ready to explore the bedroom.
My only caveat is I cannot use that half-door blocker until the kitts are ambulatory otherwise I have the mom-cats trying to move their litter under the master bed. 0_o I have to keep them closed into the bathroom until mom reaches a point where she'd enjoy a little 'escape-time' from the kitts and will *leave* them in the bathroom while SHE enjoys the bedroom.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We must be twinions because I do the same thing w/ the master bath. I have a door-sized blockade that fits perfectly to allow the mom-cat into the master bedroom while the kitts stay in the bath. By the time they can get over it, they are ready to explore the bedroom.
My only caveat is I cannot use that half-door blocker until the kitts are ambulatory otherwise I have the mom-cats trying to move their litter under the master bed. 0_o I have to keep them closed into the bathroom until mom reaches a point where she'd enjoy a little 'escape-time' from the kitts and will *leave* them in the bathroom while SHE enjoys the bedroom.
That's neat I thought people would think I was a bit crazy. Lol. It works so well! So far the babies seem happy now, mom is trying to get out of the bedroom every time I go check on them. All my other moms waited until babies were much older. She is so friendly I think she will be easier than my other moms to adopt out.

The funny thing is, the guy who brought her in said he found mom with babies walking behind her. Along with a pit bull puppy and a black and white tom cat. Easy to see through right. Way too little I think to be following mom around. :?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just from curiosity, do you handle them much? The more you handle them when they're kittens the more they like it when they get older. :)
I have two boys and my one son especially loves to have fosters in his room. He is so good with them and always follows my rules. So yes they get handled a lot. After a certain age of course. It's hard to want to put them down. :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts