Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my friend were discussing our cats the other day (she recently got an adorable blue-grey kitten named Skye) and I mentioned how much I love playing with Ivan. She frowned and said, 'I don't play with Skye. It annoys her.' I told her kittens love playing. She said, 'No they don't.'
I was really baffled at her ignorance. I have played with Skye and she was clearly having a ball. I don't get how she can think that playing annoys the cat. :?
What do you think?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Maybe it's the WAY your friend plays that Skye doesn't like. My ex-husband used to "play" with his cat (and mine) that would result in growls, yowls, hisses, swatting, nipping, squirming to get away, etc.
He would hold the cat really tight (not enough to actually cause physical harm, but certainly uncomfortable), blow in their face (especially after eating a meal that would make his breath really bad), flick their ears or tug their tails, etc. For Paizly, he would corner her, get in her face and "make" her like him, despite getting swatted (scratched a couple times when he wasn't fast enough to move out of the way), nipped at, etc. "She'll just have to get used to me eventually" he would say. And when he would tease his own cat, despite her obvious dislike of it "Oh, she knows I'm just playin' around" ....this is one reason I divorced.

I don't know how you played with Skye, but I'm assuming it was with a ball or string, or something common like that? Maybe Skye doesn't like being hugged/snuggled/touched, and that's what annoys her...but if she's left free to play with toys where she can move around on her own, that's what she prefers.
Just my thoughts, without more of the story to be explained :)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I agree with Vivid Dawn. My guess is your friend is trying to play in a way the cat doesn't enjoy? All cats have their own preferences.

For example: Apollo loooooves to be scratched and rubbed all over. He just wants as much handling as possible. I can hold him like a baby and roll him onto his back and poke his belly and play with his tail, and he considers all of this play. But Athena? Will not tolerate it. She likes being pet gently, but her preferred style of play is me throwing or dangling stuff for her to chase. She doesn't like having her fur mussed or being scratched or rolled over at all.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
It's hard to say. It could easily be how she's playing with the kitten. Some people play too rough or not the way cats like and don't read their "I don't like this" signs. It could also have to do with the kittens past, it could be really shy or something.

All cats are different. I don't play with Blacky, she isn't a playing cat and she never has been in the eight years I've known her. She rarely charges in my room with her tail swinging and a feisty look about her, even then she'll run out of the room within a minute or so like she doesn't know what to do with herself. I stopped playing with her because of that - if she's going to leave the room whenever I start playing, why bother? I think that's because she was semi-feral and never learned how to play when younger or lost the ability. That picture in my banner is a rarity, Blacky would much rather follow me around or sleep on my lap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts