Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALL my precious babies like to chew on my house plants.
HOW or WHAT can I do to stop them from doing that, I bought a cat grass kit, but it is taking a life time for those things to grow, I should have got one thats already growing! What can I do, they are getting so chopped up and ugly?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I put most of my house plants in a room my kitties aren't allowed in. The other plants I hung up on the ceilings from plant hooks. Just make sure the plants aren't hanging next to a piece of furniture or the cats will still get the plants.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
I use to have a number of house plants and between plants tipped over and plants chewed on, I'm now down to just one. You might have to just give in to the idea that plants in hanging baskets out of reach are about the only plants that are compatible with cats.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
fourisbest said:
ALL my precious babies like to chew on my house plants.
HOW or WHAT can I do to stop them from doing that, I bought a cat grass kit, but it is taking a life time for those things to grow, I should have got one thats already growing! What can I do, they are getting so chopped up and ugly?
Oh my, Can't really help you, if your cats want it they will do anything possible to have them, cats are just like that LOL.
Where do you have your plants? can you move them?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I acttually have one planter in my bedroom, infront of my big window, I could put it on the porch I guess, but I like it in my room. :cry: I could ban them from the room!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I only have hanging plants inside.

But our covered patio has lots of real ones. We even winter them over in our garage, with grow lights and a heater. In fact, we just moved them outside last weekend - hopefuly the last frost has passed.

·
Banned
804 Posts
im town to the only plant my cats wont touch. my snake plant...i think it has to do with the juicy texture...but im glad anyway cause its 23 years old

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Wow, I'm lucky. i have tons of plants and the cats don't touch them. I wonder why. :? They do always have cat grass though.
As for your cat grass, it should sprout very quickly. Mine usually takes about a week so, if it's been longer than that, there may be a problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The cat grass has grown... I think it just felt like along time because I wanted them to leave my plant ALONE!! A girl I wirk with mentioned putting moth balls down in the pot... I thought about it but I dont want the dog to eat it and get sick, shes old anyways, she might get real bad sick!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
All of my plants (except large ones on the floor) are in containers with removable bases to catch the water. I just put museum gel under ever base and wiggle it onto the plant stand. Not one has been knocked in 5 years or more.

That museum gel is wonderful. If you love plants, you have to have it! (and a double pot or removable base on your pots. I still have some of the old Tupperware planting systerm, no longer available. But some are just double potted.)

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Or, as an alternative, you can use silk plants...

We have windows which have uv filtering in them, so houseplants don't live long (and I have a black thumb with plants anyway :roll: ) so I switched to silk plants even before Gracie. As long as you buy the nice quality silk plants, you can't tell the difference. Plus, no water spots, ever! :)

Gracie used to like to remove bits of the peat moss stuff from the pots, but she seems to have lost interest, so now everything is fine with them.

Fran

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
A large number of my plants are hung from the ceiling, or they're on top of a tall cabinet. When I move to my new place, I plan to put a shelf on the wall in a sunny spot where I can keep some that don't require quite as much light. In the past, I've also put a shelf across the window to set plants on.
I've heard bitter apple spray can be used to deter plant chewing, but it has to be applied every day & I didn't have much luck with that.

Not having real plants is not an option for me. I love to grow things too much to get rid of them.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Ya, silk plants don't do it for me, either. They've got to be real or be nothing. I used to be quite the houseplant freak, many years ago, and every time I moved, I gave away most of my plants. I was down to four when I moved into this house, and the cats did in three of those.

Now I work on landscaping my yard, which is a whole lot more rewarding anyway, IMO. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts