Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I just bought a house and my 11 year old cat is indoor only. Our neighbors have two cats who are indoor/outdoor and they have a kitty door so they are outside whenever they want. A few months ago one of the cats started sitting on my back porch and looking through the sliding glass door. My cat would get very upset and lunge at the glass door and scream and howl. Neighbor’s cat won’t flinch, even when I go outside and shoo him away. In a pinch, I taped up a sheet to keep her from looking outside. I don’t have blinds or curtains on my sliding glass door, and I really don’t want to get them, but it seems I might have no choice. Every time I take the sheet down, the cat comes back eventually and gets the same ugly reaction out of my cat. This has been going on since at least October. After he’s been around she is always stressed and hangs out by the door. She obviously feels very threatened and I’m worried if I just let her do her thing she might pee on the door or floor. Is there anything I can do about this besides blinds? I’m frustrated and feel bad for my cat!

·
Super Moderator
26,676 Posts
I've been dealing with this issue for months. I finally bought six of these cat deterrent mats (they can snap together) and so far it's working.
cat deterrent mat.jpg
It doesn't hurt the cats' feet, (I've stepped on it by accident), it's just really, really uncomfortable.

Reactions: ns96

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you want an opinion, I will give mine. First, drapes or sheets won't stop your cat from going behind to see the cat. I don't know if stressed is what your cat is feeling, as much as anger and frustration. If it were me, I think I would sit with my kitty as he is outside, and talk soothingly to your cat, explain the neighbors cat is just interested in knowing yours. Maybe find time one day to settle it the tiff by either introducing or for sure finding out what sex the other is.... adult cats do not take easily with other adult cats, but it can become familiar if you don't react too much. Because your cat is indoor only, I find it helps a lot to bring in outdoor things for him/her; such as a plant or branch or something soaked in the sun. The scent of these things are interesting at the very least to them. Weird, but true.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Cats are territorial, first off, so your indoor kitty is feeling threatened...
Two things you could try, the air spray canisters, outside, which someone has already mentioned, and getting a really good cat harness, to take your cat out for a walk, let her sniff, face mark, or yes, even pee nearby!
It will help her confidence!
She will be claiming her territory!
Watch Jackson Galaxy's My cat from H***, you can find him on you tube as well!
Best Wishes!
😺🐾🐾

1 - 6 of 6 Posts