Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Tomorrow my husband and I are adopting our very first kitty from the animal shelter. He is a beautiful adult orange and white striped short hair boy with pretty green eyes. The story of why we are adopting him is rather odd, but bear with me!

We met this kitty a few months ago. He belonged to our neighbor. He's such a friendly cat and my husband and I just loved him. Sadly, his owners were not the best. He disappeared a couple of months ago and the owners did not try to find him. This upset me greatly and I offered to try to find him. They said if I found him, I could keep him, and then they moved away. So I put up lost cat signs, posted on Craigslist, contacted local rescues, and have been trolling Petfinder. No luck until today! A beautiful boy who fits the description of the neighbor's cat perfectly showed up at the animal shelter as a stray. I rushed over to see if it was him and I'm 95% sure it is! I had to leave him there, but came home and discussed it with my husband since I didn't want to just surprise him with a cat. Tomorrow morning I plan to be at the shelter right when they open so I can sign his adoption papers. He hasn't been neutered yet so we will get that taken care of, then he can come home! There are a few other pertinent details to this story (namely in helping him get along with our bunnies) but I plan to make a different thread in either the Cat Chat or the Behavior subforum.

Regardless, I am very happy to be here and super excited about my new kitty!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Welcome! I'm quite partial to the orange and white stripey boys! Can't wait to hear more about him and see some pictures.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome, Mow Mow! I tried to go back and add more info to my post but it's been more than 5 minutes. I was just so excited about introducing myself! A bit more about me:

I am 27 years old and live in Alaska with my husband and our pet bunnies, who all live inside our house with us. I am a huge animal lover and bunnies have my heart for sure, but I am very eager to let a sweet kitty into my heart. My entire life I have been waiting to finally get a cat. I have done lots of research on cat health, behavior, the best food to feed, all that stuff, and am certain that I will be a loving and responsible cat mom. My husband is excited about getting a kitty, too! The neighbors/former owners of our kitty to be also had a house rabbit and the cat and bunny were best friends so I am very hopeful that he will be good with our bunnies.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I filled out the adoption paperwork today, Declan will be neutered tomorrow and then come home in the evening :D Today I bought tons of kitty supplies and have everything ready for him! I will share a picture tomorrow if he doesn't look too zonked out after the surgery.

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
Welcome!

Love the name, and love orange boys!!

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
You are awesome for doing so much follow-up to find this kitty. Your neighbors are awful for losing an unneutered male cat -- in Alaska!!

I love the orange and white boys myself, as you can see from my signature! Good luck with everything. He is sure lucky you were aware and active enough to find him and bring him home.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi. How lovely that you will now get to know the joy of having a cat in your life. People never know how rewarding they really are until they have had one.

I am going to guess that the reason your neighbours didn't want him any more was because he'd been spraying in the house. Some people are idiots, once he is neutered he will not do this, also he will be unlikely to go off roaming and getting lost. Male cats spray to attract females and mark territory from other males who might be competing for females in the area, and they go off roaming looking for females. Once neutered these urges with no longer exist in him, and he will likely turn into a big ginger ball of love.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Wonderful story! Did he answer to his previous name or is Declan the name you have given him now? Can't wait to see your pictures!

·
Registered
57 Posts
That is such a sweet story! There needs to be more people in the world like you and less of the ones like your neighbor. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the kind welcome, everyone! I really appreciate it. His name was Slob before, Declan is the name I picked for him the very first time I saw him (it was basically love at first sight for my husband and me). It is a much better name for such a pretty and sweet boy.

In any case, I just called the vet to check on how he's doing and he is ready to come home! I have everything all set up for him and am so excited to go get him. My husband is coming home from work early so we can go pick him up together, he hasn't seen Declan since he went missing because the animal shelter hours conflict with his work schedule.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, my handsome boy is home! He charmed everyone at the vet office and even broke a heart. One of the techs saw he was from the shelter (guess it said so on his paperwork) and thought he was available for adoption. She called her husband and everything and they decided to adopt him! She was quite sad when she found out he already has a home.

Since we got home, he has been in the bathroom. He spent the first couple hours behind the toilet but has come out now. My husband and I sat in there with him for about 20 minutes and he practically mauled us with love. Very affectionate kitty! He even climbed onto my lap for a while and purred while eating. Oh and I showed him how to use the scratching post by scratching at it myself and he copied me :D What a smart boy! Not sure how long he'll last in the bathroom because he tried to follow us out and we've seen kitty paws under the door. The vet said to keep him confined for 4 days though so he can heal from the neuter, and we want our bunnies to get used to his smell in the house before they see him up close.

I do have one concern though. When we were in there playing with him, he kept squinting one eye shut and the skin around it looks a little red. He showed no sign of eye issues the day before yesterday, yesterday, or at all today until when we were in there just now. Did he maybe bonk it on one of the screws under the toilet or something? I don't think he's sick.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is my handsome boy! He looks kind of derpy in this picture because of the flash but I didn't want to upset him too much with lots of flashy pictures :) I take tons of pictures of my pets and he will get used to it eventually :D You can see he is squinting his right eye a tiny bit.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, poor Declan! He really doesn't like the bathroom. He's going, "MROWWWWWW!" and tries to run out when I open the door to check on him. I think he's bored. He got out when my husband opened the door earlier and I had to go fetch him from the kitchen. Everything I read online said that a new kitty should be confined to one room at first so they feel safer, but he definitely seems to feel ready to come out! He's even sticking his paws under the door. We aren't ready for him to have free roam of the house yet (the bunnies are in the living room and I want to slowly introduce them all), but the plan was to move him into the bedroom in a couple of days.

Since he was just neutered, our vet said to make sure he isn't too active for 4 days and I'm afraid there is much more for him to do and get into in our bedroom. The vet even said to put him in a dog crate if he's too active, and I know he's been jumping on the counter and shelves in the bathroom because he knocked stuff over. What would you all do? Confining him to a dog crate seems so mean. The cage he was in at the shelter was pretty small, I wonder if he yowled there at night too. He has a bed, litter box, scratching post, and assorted toys in the bathroom.

Thankfully, the sad meowing is not constant- he mostly seems to do it if he can hear me making noise. It's about breaking my heart.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I know they say you should keep new cats confined to a small space, but when we brought home our orange boy, man oh man, he shot out of the carrier and was fascinated with exploring every inch of the house. Within 30 minutes of being out of the carrier, I looked up and found him on top of the kitchen cabinets! So I think it's an individual thing. I can only imagine that not being able to explore would be very frustrating to them, since they've been cooped up in a cage and now have the freedom to explore a new place that they want to feel comfortable in.

This doesn't address the fact that Declan was just neutered though, so I'm only speaking from a 'get comfortable with the new place' standpoint. I'm curious what other people have done with a newly neutered cat. Isn't the cone enough?

·
Registered
716 Posts
aww, what a heartwarming story. Declan is so lucky to have you!

If he is jumping up on the counter in the bathroom, I don't see why you couldn't put him in the bedroom. You want to keep him as confined as possible so he can heal, but doesnt sound like he is going to be any more active in the bedroom as he is in the bathroom. Also, its a little easier on the males than it is the females after their surgery. Mine had run of the house when I got them home. They were kittens, and the healing is a little easier when they are younger, but its pretty much impossible to keep 8 week old kittens still, in a crate or not. I wouldnt encourage him to play or run, but I don't think you really have to keep him confined.

Although, if you move him into the bedroom, he is most likely still going to cry if he is alone in there. He wants some company :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Addressing the eye issue...he could have cought a cold in the shelter, sometimes that makes their eyes runny/goopy/squinty. You could call your vet and see what they say.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts