Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 month old neutered male kitten that is trim and helthy looking
except he has the flab of fatty skin that hang down on his stomach. I
can touch it and rub it and it doesn't seem to bother him at all.

I didn't know if this is the food he is on or what. Should he be put
on a diet food or would this thin him down to much?

I have the dry food out all times. I also have another
cat and she is about 6 years old. I have had several cats in the past
30 years and have never had one that had this patch. I have always fed
them this way.

Right now they are eating either 'Pro Plan' or 'Purina One' dry.

Thanks,
Debbie

·
Registered
20 Posts
One of my cats also has a huge hanging flap of skin under his tummy. He might be slightly overweight, but not by much if any. I don't think it's due to diet cause he eats the same as the other cat(s) - down to only one other now-but neither of the others ever developed the same hanging tummy. I always thought it was genetics-just like with us humans we put extra weight in different places. He didn't have this as a kitten but got it as he grew up.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Yup, like everyone says, perfectly normal. All my cats have the "fat pad" "spay sway" "belly flap" etc. Cat Fancy magazine did an article on this a while back. There's no definitive explanation for why this happens, and why to some cats but not others.

My personal opinion: some muscle gets snipped when they're getting spayed/neutered.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone.

That is want I kinda thought but with having so many cat in my life and this one being the first to have this I just wanted to make sure.

Debbie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.