Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I chose my kitten from the shelter (at age 9 weeks), I specifically picked her because she snuggled under my chin and purred loudly every time I picked her up. I took every kitten at the shelter into the visiting room and mine was the most affectionate.

Now she has been home for a month (now 13 weeks) and has become a totally different kitten! When I pick her up she growls! I have two other cats in this household and neither has ever growled at me!

I have tried feeding her a treat when I pick her up and she eats the treat and then growls. Sigh. Is this her true personality emerging or is there something I can do?

Kris

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
She may just be stressed out with the new environment, new family members, etc. It's a big change for her. Does she growl/hiss at the other kitties? You might try keeping her separated from the others for a little while, and giving her some one-on-one time with just the two of you.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Also they go through phases with their behavior the same as children do. She could just be going through a phase.

Does she only growl when you pick her up, or anytime you try to interact with her? If it's only when you pick her up, have you looked her over to make sure she doesn't have a wound or injury somewhere? Have you changed her food at all recently (or could she have eaten something she shouldn't have) that might have upset her stomach? Does her poo look normal? They also teethe around 3 months and that could be giving her some pain. Does she do okay when you just pet her with her standing on the ground? Some kittens just aren't fans of being held.

·
Banned
693 Posts
And make sure there is no underlying pain or health issue. You may unknowingly be touching a tender spot and she doesn't like it.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Ha! Sorry, don't mean to laugh, but welcome to the wonderful world of kittens! She may show an independent mean streak for quite awhile. Address the most painful (biting, scratching), but otherwise just keep showering her with kisses and cuddles. Most kittens go through this - kind of like a teenager stretching his legs and bucking authority. This is why I adopt seniors and adults! WYSIWYG!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I agree it's likely just a phase...but don't give in to it! Her behvaiour is naughty, and if she gets away with it (ie, you put her down when she growls) it could become a habit!

Pick her up, snuggle her, ect, make sure she's well supported so it isn't an issue of feeling unsafe. (Always hold her back feet in one hand.) If she gorwls or struggles just ignore her and hold her firmly enough that she can't wriggle out. When she relaxes wait a beat then put her down saying 'good kitty!'. She'll learn that the fastest way to get what she wants (put down) is to relax, rather than to struggle.

Also think about WHEN you're picking her up. Is she in the middle of a meal? Playing with a toy? Running around like a wild thing? If you're interrupting something she's enjoying it's normal for her to be a bit frustrated by it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts