Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how many of you remember but I had to hospitalize my kitten on Memorial day weekend 5 days after I got her for possible panleukopenia virus and a horrible upper resp infection. She was hospitalized for 5 days. I thought all the bad stuff was over for her.

Last night she didn't really touch her food but was acting fairly normal so I didn't worry too much about it. So I went out to dinner. When I came home at 11:30, Althaea was NO where to be found. We found her laying under the bed. She would not come near me. I felt the spot underneat her and it was very very warm. So I dragged her out and took her temp it was almost 105 which freaked me out since that's what her temp was Memorial Day weekend when she was soo sick.

Soo off to the ER we went. While waiting I realized that she smelled really bad. She has had issues with diarrhea this summer which I had assumed was dietary since we cured it by changing the diet. Sooooo I looked in her mouth and noticed a giant ulcer on her tongue. It looks soo painful. So I had to leave her there last night so they could start supportive care.

Apparently there were a few cats with calicivirus in the hospital when I was in a few weeks ago to have her chronic diarrhea problem checked out. I'm soo worried about her. she now HATES the hospital. When we were in a few weeks ago, we wanted to run some blood on her. She was so out of control that the techs couldn't get her blood and this was with some very talented people working with her. I'm hoping she behaved for her catheter placement and blood draws last night.

Now I play the waiting game to hear back from the resident on today.
Althaea just can't win, I just can't seem to keep her healthy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well the poor thing is in isolation so I probably won't be visiting her today. They want to keep her tonight and see if they can get her to eat. They're putting a narcotic under her tongue to try and cut down on the pain and help her eat. I miss her sooo much. It's so weird without her here. I've been racking my brain trying to think if she could have eaten anything but we keep everything hidden well.

The hope is that she can come home tomorrow. They know that I can do all the supportive care at home just as well as they can. The doctor just really wants to get her eating some before she goes home. Ugh, I am sooo stressed. Althaea just never seems to get a break.

They did run another FeLV/FIV test which came up negative!! And her bloods looked fine. Her white cell count is up but that is totally normal for what she is going through.

I'm starting to hate 3 day weekends.

·
Registered
821 Posts
oh my gosh, that is so sad. The poor kitty. :( My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Oooh no, poor kitty :cry: I hope she'll get better soon. I'll send some positive thoughts and energy to her.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Would she be more comfortable at home?

Would it be possible for you to bring her home for the supportive care? Most cats do so poorly when they are hospitalized. Having had many sick cats (many with feluk) and very high fevers and no appetitie, I'll just share some of my secrets with you to try if you'd like.

I found that cats love Swanson low sodium, fat free chicken broth. For my sick cats i heated it a bit, just enough to release the aroma, then held a spoon with the soup just under their nose and they would lap it up. I find that very sick cats will eat from a spoon that is held up to their mouth more often then if they have to lean into the food. I don't know why that is, but it's worked time and time again for me espcially with cats running a very high fever. If she likes the broth you can try adding Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of Chicken soup to the broth to give him more substance and to help fill them more. After a few days of this, my cats usually were ready for real food. Also, turkey baby food (Gerber's) has always been a hit for cats who refuse to eat anything else. Another food that sometimes entices them to eat, is Science Diet A/D. It's a canned food that is the consistency of baby food. I suspect that is what you vet is trying to get her to eat. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I'd be reluctant to feed my cat a campbells soup product, the condensed soups in particular. I'd be weary of the possibility of intolerance to lactose and the high sodium content.

Maybe it is okay, but I'd surely check it with your vet before doing so. Maybe you could just water down the wet food to make it a more soupy texture or put a little bit of heavily diluted broth on the food to make it more appealing. I've also heard many folks recommending baby food for cats who have lost interest in food.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Luckily, I'm a 3rd year vet student so the doctor will send her home as soon as she feels she's stable enough. I should be bringing her home today. They were also giving her some meds that I won't be able to give her at home. I'm just a little more cautious with her since she's already been incredibly sick once in her short life.

I'll update everyone after I talk to the doctor today.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Poor baby :( Sending out good vibes

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's home!! I brought her home today. She had spiked a temp last night again but today it was back down. She was getting stressed there and only eating a little bit for them. So she came home with me. She has eaten an entire 5 oz can of Wellness today :) She's running around as if nothing is wrong.

Her tongue still looks sore but it doesn't seem to bother her. I've been looking around my house to make sure that there's nothing she could have gotten into that might have caused the ulcer on her tongue. I haven't found anything. Since there were cats in the hospital several weeks ago with oral ulcers when we were in for an appointment, I'm agreeing with the vets that it's probably that. She's an amazing little kitten. For 5 months old, she's certainly gone through a lot.

Thanks for all the support.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
She's lucky to have someone who loves her so much and that has the educational background you have! That's got to be a big advantage.
Glad to hear she's eating.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Sorry to hear she's sick, but glad she's doing better now! Hope she keeps up the good progress. Best wishes to you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well she's still doing ok but she is starting to get congested. She's already on antibiotics which aren't going to help the viral infection only ward off the secondary bacterial infections. My thoughts now are that she didn't have calici but a re-emergence of herpes.

Ugh, this cat worries me. She's only 5.5 months old and seems to constantly be battling things.

·
Registered
428 Posts
L-lysine will help

If it is herpes remember L-lysine will help. Being she's so small I'd give her 250mg. a day to start, mixed in her wet food.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts