Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: this is our first kitten together(me and my bofriend) and she is constipated and we really dont know what to do.. :( shes only 6 weeks old.. if you have any suggestions.. PLEASE HELP! thanks !

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
When I was growing up my mom and I had to bottle feed a few kittens (their mama died) until they were old enough to drink on their own and our vet told us to make sure we rubbed their bellies with a warm washcloth after each feeding to help stimulate the bowels. It basically mimics the mother licking them after each feeding.

Give this a try. Hopefully it helps. If it doesn't help within a day I think I would contact a vet.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how'd you get a 6-week-old kitten already taken away from it's mama? I've always thought that was a little young. IMO, they should be left with mama until at least 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Technically a kitten shouldn't leave MommaCat until its 12 weeks. eWe can't help people who are irresponsible for the mother cat and the kittens, and can only hope responsible people adopt the young kittens to help them grow and live long, healthy lives.

Take your kitten to a vet, get it tested for FIV/FeLV. Also have it tested for Worms.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
You'd be surprised how many kittens are advertised at 6 weeks old--especially those offered "Free to a good home." The average person doesn't know that 12 weeks if the right age to rehome them. Of course, many of the kittens offered free are then sold for animal research or killed and used as snake food. Lily, please help spread the word.

I would ask a vet's advice about the constipation also. That baby is too young to wait any longer. It's time for his shots also. If you have a fecal sample, take it with you to the vet. Many young kittens have worms.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

Lily is the cats name and shes in a good home.. we didnt realize that kittens should be at least 12 wks. old.. our manager was giving kittens away so we took one in.. but shes doing really good now and she even knows to use the litter box!! but thank u for ur suggestions!! they helped alot! :D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Our kittens were taken from their mama at the age of 5-6 weeks too. :( They were in the pet store when we came there and we took them when they were 7 weeks old. The sales person told us that the owner didn't want to keep the kittens anymore. I can't believe how someone can separate them so early! :(

The only think that worries me is the fact that one of them sneezes since we got them. I'm thinking that it's chronicle....Probably she will sneeze forever.

Anywyas, this was little bit out of the subject. I hope your kitty will get better, I also think you should take her to the vet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts