Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I noticed that the girls were doing a lot of scratching last night. I checked behing their ears and found no fleas, but lots of tiny little spots of dried blood. They are going to the vet Friday AM, but is there something I can use before then?
I know better than to buy Hartz, and I will call my vet once they open, but I thought one of you might have some advice.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Aine, I didn't think Advantix was made for cats? I thought there was only a dog formula on the market. :?: That was one of the big reasons why our clinic didn't start to carry the stuff.

Rayona, in the meantime if you have a fine toothed comb you can try and comb some of the fleas out and dip the comb in an alcohol and water solution to kill them once they are trapped in the comb's teeth. Just be sure to rinse the comb in water before running it through their coat again.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My vet told me to come in Monday and pick up some Frontline. I gave the girls a bath last night and found a couple of fleas. I talked to my mom, who has had cats all her life and never had more than a flea at a time, and she to give them a soaking bath, backcoming their fur and pulling out the fleas. I found a couple of natural pet websites and they suggested using lemon soap and rinsing with lemon/sage/rosemary water.

Well, I made the water last night, gave the cats a long bath, and found about 15 fleas on Keira! That seems like a lot for a tiny 1.7 lb kitten, doesn't it? Lucky only had about 5, and the water did seem to kill a bunch and slow down the rest. Yuck! I can't believe this--never before had I even seen a flea. So the poor girls are stuck in their bedroom, because I don't want to infest the whole apartment. ==> Well, back to sitting with them...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fleas

You actually were lucky with only 15. I had never seen fleas on either of my other cats, but the kitten I got (who had been an outside kitten) was infested. I gave her a bath in flea shampoo that said it was gentle enough for new kittens and the minute I soaped up her body, the fleas started running for her face. It was disgusting! :( I had to gently shampoo her face to get rid of them too. One even went in her eye! I gave her two baths that day and one the next before they were all gone. At this point she only weighted 1.1 lbs. Poor thing, she had some many bites and a bunch of flea dirt on her. Now she's flea-free. That poor kitten went through the flea infestation, roundworms, cocsidia (sp) and a slight cold! The vet was singing all the way to the bank after her visits!

·
Registered
93 Posts
My cats have fleas to right now, getting them sorted asap because those nasty little things seem to like the taste of me too.

We use Frontline which we can only get from 1vet where I live. It works wonders! You might want to pick up a can of flea spray for around the house too, the eggs can live for AGES in your carpet and furniture.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My vet had me split one Frontline applicator between the two girls since they are so small. They seem to be doing much better. No more scratching than any normal cat, and Keira has SO much more energy now. I think all those fleas made her miserable.

Any recommendations for household fleas sprays? Ugh, I really want them all dead NOW.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fleas

I got rid of the fleas on Ming the weekend I picked her up at the lake. I made sure she was flea-free before I brought her home.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Your going to have to get your house treated professionally if you want to get rid of them. Look in the phone book and call several people and get the best price.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fleas

I didn't even bring her inside at the lake until I had washed her three times with flea shampoo. I made sure all the fleas were gone before bringing her inside. She didn't go home with me for another 2 days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts