Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old kitten. She seems to not have gained much weight since I got her. She has only gained one once. I have had her for 3 1/2 weeks. Also her bowel has been very runny. She barely eats anything. She takes a couple of bites in the morning and in the evening. I leave the food out for her during the day, but when I get home it looks like she ate nothing. Should this be a concern for me, or is this normal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would also like to add, that she seems very little for her age. The place that I adopted her from says she is normal size. Oh and her weight is 4lbs 2oz. I have seen other cats her age, and they seem to be a lot bigger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,562 Posts
Weighed my kitten just now (compliments of my fancy new scale that claims to be so efficient it'll even notice differences in how hydrated i am and also calculates my body fat...which will not be posted here. :wink: ) and she weighs 3.8 lbs. She was 16 weeks old yesterday! Hopefully that will give you something to compare too!

Her weight seems healthy to me. However, if you are concerned about her eating you could entice her with more wet food. Another thing is that if she has runny stools and you feel she's not gaining - she may have worms. You should look into that if she hasn't been dewormed by your vet yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,980 Posts
Hi Peaches, and welcome to the forum. :)
It has been ages since I have had a kitten, so I am afraid I am not much help. I am concerned by the fact that she eats very little and has diarrhea. What type of food are you feeding her? I wonder if this could be part of the problem. Has she ever been to the vet?
Cats are different sizes. Some kittens just start off very small. But your kitten not eating and have runny stools is reason to be concerned.
Best of luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,331 Posts
I've never owned a kitten, but just started working at a vet and from what I see, the kittens we have eat like there's no tomorrow! As soon as I put the food in for them, they run over and scarf it down in minutes. I agree that taking her to the vet is the best option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The place I adopted her from already dewormed her. Could she still possible get worms after the deworming? She was on Max Cat(dry), but she didnt like that, so I switched her to Iams(dry). I have been told to only give her kitten food that has a sufficient amount of protein. I have only given her wet food once. Is wet food ok for a kitten? Also any other suggestions to kitten food would be great too. Thank you. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,562 Posts
Yes wet food is okay for a kitten.
Also, could it be the food switch causing her stomach to be upset? If you did it suddenly that could be part of the problem. Also, she may not like the food she was switched too. They can already be quite picky at that age, I know mine is. If she will eat the wet food, give it to her...you need her to start eating something...and it's supposed to be better for them anyway!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
Could be illness

Has your kitten been tested for feluk and aids? She sounds underweight for her age. Do you know what she was wormed with? If it was an over the counter med it may not kill any hookworms and they are dangerous and can cause severe stomach upset. She could have other parasites such as coccidia. Did you have her stool tested by a vet? I would strongly suggest you do that and make sure the sample is fresh. Hate to use that terminology, but when testing for coccidia it has to be fairly new. Also, it is possible she has herpes virus. I have a litter that contracted herpes from their mom and all of them are small for their size. If you're going to keep her on the Iams products, try the Eukanub, as it has more fat content and more concentrated nutrition than the regular Iams. Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AddFran said:
Yes wet food is okay for a kitten.
Also, could it be the food switch causing her stomach to be upset? If you did it suddenly that could be part of the problem. Also, she may not like the food she was switched too. They can already be quite picky at that age, I know mine is. If she will eat the wet food, give it to her...you need her to start eating something...and it's supposed to be better for them anyway!
She had the stool problem with the first food product. I don't think it was the switching of the food. She seems to like the Iams better. She is eating a little bit more than the Max Cat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Could be illness

lotocats said:
Has your kitten been tested for feluk and aids? She sounds underweight for her age. Do you know what she was wormed with? If it was an over the counter med it may not kill any hookworms and they are dangerous and can cause severe stomach upset. She could have other parasites such as coccidia. Did you have her stool tested by a vet? I would strongly suggest you do that and make sure the sample is fresh. Hate to use that terminology, but when testing for coccidia it has to be fairly new. Also, it is possible she has herpes virus. I have a litter that contracted herpes from their mom and all of them are small for their size. If you're going to keep her on the Iams products, try the Eukanub, as it has more fat content and more concentrated nutrition than the regular Iams. Good Luck
She has been tested for feluk and aids, came back negative. She was wormed at the vet. Not 100% sure what they used. Yeah I am taking her to the vet to get her stool sampled.
Never did think about herpes virus.
Hopefully its just something simple.
Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions and support. I will keep you updated on her condition. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
I'm use to tubbies

I'm sorry. I'm so use to the obese babies that I have. HA! When she said 3 somthing, I found that small. I usually get kittens spayed/neutered at 4 months and for my vet to do it they have to weigh at least 5 lbs. and most of them do by then. Sounds though like her little cat is pretty healthy, having tested negative for the most dread of diseases. I'm sure it will catch up. I had a runt of a kitten once that I thought would never grow. He's now 16 pounds!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
Well, there can be difference between kittens from the same litter (also difference between male and females) and also depending on what breed. Sam and Suzy weighed at 4 months 4.7 ounces and 2.86 ounces. They are siblings and yet there's big difference between them. Siamese are often "smaller" than other breeds, but Suzy did have us worried there for a while. But she's gained a lot lately and the increase seem to go in "waves". One week she doesn't gain much at all and the next she's gained a lot!

Kittens seem to like to eat very little and very often instead. So it might not look like she's eating much, and yet she might get all the food she need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,562 Posts
I could be wrong in saying this, but I think I have noticed in a lot of cases that the females tend to be a bit smaller as kittens and during the major growing phases. That's not to say they can't end up monsterous!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
Rare Puss

Rare Puss: Everytime I look at your Marsh I think of my Snow #1. He is no longer with me. He died of Feluk at 4 yrs. of age. He was a mixed breed, with long snow white fur, blue eyes and a personality that matched his beauty. He was the love of my life and there will never be another one like him. Your little guy is a doll. Of course I have Snow #2 who is also beautiful. He's a mix also, flame point Siamese with blue eyes. He's the one who weighs in at 16 lbs. As soon as I have time I'm going to post his photo with my subject line so everyone can see him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
983 Posts
Re: Rare Puss

lotocats said:
Rare Puss: Everytime I look at your Marsh I think of my Snow #1. He is no longer with me. He died of Feluk at 4 yrs. of age. He was a mixed breed, with long snow white fur, blue eyes and a personality that matched his beauty. He was the love of my life and there will never be another one like him. Your little guy is a doll. Of course I have Snow #2 who is also beautiful. He's a mix also, flame point Siamese with blue eyes. He's the one who weighs in at 16 lbs. As soon as I have time I'm going to post his photo with my subject line so everyone can see him.
is this sort of what he looks like? It's another one of my breeder's creations, a gorgeous flame-point LaPerm/Siamese with sky-blue eyes :D His name is Jack :p



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
About a pound per month is an average gain for a kitten. At 4 months, a weight of around 4 pounds is quite normal.

Love the LaPerms! I have 2 friends who breed them; they're dolls!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top