Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined and thought I'd show off my babies.

This is Rin:

She's all black, and turned one at the end of may. I've had her since she was about 4 weeks old. One of my mom's friend's had a neighborhood cat have kittens in her yard. There were two black kittens, and an orange kitten. 2 males, and a female. The day I picked Rin up, it was storming, and the family was huddling under a bush. I could only take one, and would've liked to leave her with her mother a bit longer, but didn't want her to turn feral like her mother.

We set up a box with some towels and put the kittens in there, out of the rain. I knew I wanted a black kitten, but didn't want to pick between male and female, so I looked into the box, and Rin looked up at me and meowed, and that was it. I took her home. I didn't check to see if I'd grabbed the female or not until the next morning.

This is what she looked like the day after I brought her home:

She had fleas like crazy, worms, and was so underweight that we were't sure if she'd ever be a normal size. But she's completely fine, weighs ten pounds, and knows how to fetch.

Next is O'Malley:

He just goes by Malley. I've known him since he was very young, around 2 weeks old, I think. My neighbor found two kittens 'abandoned under a bush' outside her apartment. Everyone told her to put them back, but she wouldn't. The two kittens ended up living in her bathtub on towels between feeding, and weren't staying warm, so I took them in. My neighbors weren't upset by that at all.

I taught them (both males, Malley, and his brother Temple, who was white.) how to use the litter box and how to eat solid food when they were old enough. A few months after they were neutered, the manager of my apartment complex took Temple home with her. (We thought he'd been stolen, or run off and gotten lost, but a few days later a neighbor told us that he'd climbed right into her car and she'd thought he was a stray, so she took him home.)

Malley is now two to three months shy of two years old.

Jack:

Jack is almost five years old. We've had him since he was about two months old. We originally took in his sister, Molly, and my best friend and neighbor took in Jack, but they ended up not really wanting to take care of him, so he ended up on my front porch a lot. Everyone loved him - he is the coolest, most laid back cat ever - so there was no question about whether we were keeping him or not.

Molly disappeared when she was three. We don't know if she ran away, or was trapped and taken to the animal shelter, or if she was hit by a car. We think she was trapped, as we had a lot of feral cat problems at the time, and people kept trapping tons of cats.

And last but not least, Joe:
Er, well, actually, I can't find a picture of him right now. I'll upload one in a few minutes. He's a longhaired orange tabby.

My mom used to be a manager at Joe's Crab Shack, and one day Joe just showed up outaide. At the time, he was not quite a year old. He was completely feral and was scared of people completely. To this day, nine years later, he's still scared of people that aren't in the family.

Sorry for making the post so long!

·
Super Moderator
26,542 Posts
Welcome! What wonderful stories and beautiful kitties. Can't wait to see pictures of Joe! :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
I could read these stories and look at all the cute fur babies all day long!

·
Premium Member
28,617 Posts
What a beautiful family! :) I would like to steal Rin from you, but I also raised an a four week old black kitten, and I know how much these babies mean to you! :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi neighbor! I'm in Alabama as well.

I absolutely LOVE reading about everyone's kitties! It's a treat to see photos too! Yours are SO pretty!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally have pictures of Joe! Sorry it took so long. (Oops! I forgot to resize them! Sorry!)

Here he is sleeping on my bed:

And now some bonus pics of Rin and Malley. Some are recent, and others are from when I got Rin:

A few days after I got her, sleeping in her brand new pink kitty bed that came with a tiny kitten pillow and a blanket:

She actually still sleeps in it every night.

Watching my rats:

Playing with Malley two days after she came home:

"Oh hi, hamster. I can eat you now, yes?"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone who complimented the kitties; I forgot to say that in my last post.

And don't worry, the rats know how to bite back. If any cat gets near their cage, they run to the side where the cat is and start trying to grab the cat's fur and bite and they'll basically just let them know, "hey, back off, or I'll eat your face."

Malley likes to see how close he can get without being bitten. He isn't very good at it. (He can get close, but always ends up nursing a sore paw.)

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
You have quite a fur family! All of your kitties are so sweet. My favorite picture was the little black kitty in her very pink bed.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
All your kitties are lovely, but Joe is just Gorgeous :heart
Reminds me of our (late) Jimmy. That thick ginger coat is beautiful.

seashell

1 - 14 of 14 Posts