Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow cat lovers, I have an 8-year-old Siamese and I'm hoping to get advice on kitty teeth. My vet pulled three teeth and wants to pull 6 more, including his gorgeous canines! Help! We are getting a second opinion this week and I guess we have to decide on whether to get them pulled or whether it is kinder to have him put down. I don't want him to be in pain. The recovery from the first extractions was pretty brutal and I hate to see him go through it again but he may be having toothaches. I can't tell. Thanks for any advice. Also, it's approximately $300 a tooth in case anyone's interested.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
What is the reason your vet for extracting the teeth. I think you're doing the right thing by getting a second opinion. Hope things turn out well, and can be easily fixed by some sort of treatment other than extractions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Catloverami for the reply. We are taking Fuji to another vet today to examine the x-rays. We were told that "some cats have beautiful mouths and some cats have terrible mouths." They said his teeth were rotting and were being re-absorbed. We've had cats for many decades and have never had this problem. We took Fuji in to have a cyst removed and they wanted to clean his teeth while he was under the ether. We signed a standard release to let them pull any teeth if needed. Since we weren't home they couldn't reach us so they only pulled 3 of the 9 teeth they say need pulling. The vet said they wanted to pull the big canines out first but they didn't want to shock us when we came to pick him up. I do wonder why they bothered cleaning his teeth ($500) after they took the x-rays when at that point they knew they needed to be pulled.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts