Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my cat has been acting funny ever since i had to take her to a temporary home. we moved and cant have her, so my mother in law took her. she has 2 other cats and they all did not get along. while she was there, she would not eat, would not use their littter box and started throwing up a white foammy liquid! i took her to my grandmothers thinking she would do better there since she's lived there before. she wasnt improving and was looking awfully skinny. so i took her to the vet and he said that the had jondice and a possible liver infection. she is real yellow looking and now when she pees, its a brownish color. we finally got her to eat on her own last weekend. would anyone know what is wrong with her?? and what can i do to help. i have no money for a vet to run tests :cry: and would really appreciate any information!! thank you soooo much!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I didn't realize you posted in two places. I responded to your other thread, but this is the proper place for this post, so I'll copy my response below.

I have a few questions. Hope you don't mind.

1. How old is your cat?
2. How long has this been going on?
3. Is your cat still vomiting at all and if so, what does it look like.
4. What treatment did the vet provide or offer you? (did the vet give you medicine, or tell you what to do?)
5. What are you feeding him?
6. I additional question...Are the cats at your grandmothers indoor or outdoor cats?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. she is 3 years old
2. its been goin on for a month and a half
3. she's not throwing up anymore, that stopped about a week ago
4. he did give me some medicine. he said it will make her foam at the mouth and act crazy for a few minutes. i'm not sure what the medicine was called, but i had to give it to her twice a day. he said it would help her liver.
5. we've been force feeding her baby food (turkey & rice dinner and veggies), right now she'll eat canned food, tuna and she's just started eating dry food again (its meow mix)
6. she's always been an indoor cat, but when she stayed w/ my mother in law she got out a few times and her cats were outdoor cats. there are no other cats where she is at now and she's staying in the garage.

i'm gonna take her to the vet tomorrow, but i was hoping maybe someone on here could help me first, just so i dont spend the money for the vet to tell me to keep food and water in her and she'll be okay, ya know?! thanks again!!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
1. Her age seems young to be concerned about cancer right now, but it HAS happened. It just wouldn't be my first though.
2. A month and a half is a long time. It's obvious that it's not a fluke, a veterinarian really needs to help you with this and unfortunately, the most important thing is trying to figure out why her liver is giving her trouble. Sometimes it's a symptom of something else.
3. I'm glad she is not throwing up anymore. Is she still jaundiced?
4. Can't say much, not sure what the medicine was or what it does.
The baby food will probably work for now and is also probably better than her regular food, but still lacks protein. You really really need to stop feeding her meow mix it's a horrible food. It's possible that the food contributed to her condition. Also, Tuna is not good for cats in general and if your cat is having these problems it may be more dangerous, but I'm not sure either way. You will need to find a meat protein food canned diet for your cat when she starts eating normal foods again.
5. If your mother-in-law (sorry i think i said your grandmother earlier) has outdoor cats and your cat was exposed to them, there are a number of things that could cause symptoms like these...such as (but not limited to) taxoplasmosis (parasite), FIV, Feline Luekemia, FIP, she could have eaten something toxic, etc. Diabetes can also cause liver disease and can be caused by feeding dry only diets, especially by bad foods like meow mix, etc.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR...just want to be clear about that. However, from the research I've done for my own benefit , it sounds as though it's possible that your cat ended up with Fatty Liver Syndrome. Often it happens when a cat that is usually a little on the heavy side suddenly stops eating. The body then breaks fat down to supply nutrients to the cat and the fat gets broken down so rapidly that the liver can't process it properly...somehow this results in liver failure. If this is the case, it can take weeks before your cat will eat again on it's own.

Maybe your cat got so depressed that it stopped eating and this happened? It's essential that your cat gets fed a high quality food if this is what has happened. Your vet will HAVE to do blood tests to check the liver and you really, really need to have them done. It could mean life or death for your cat.

Has your vet done any bloodwork thus far?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Oh and her urine being dark sounds like she's severly dehydrated.
You've got to get her to drink something. She may need to get fluids at the vet, she sounds very sick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
she was a pretty fat cat and now she's pretty boney. i hadnt usually fed her the meow mix...she's picky about what she eats though and i found she likes the higher dollar foods but i just cant afford that at the moment. i didnt know canned tuna was bad for cats! i've always given her a can here and there as a treat, so i'll stop that! thank you SO much for your help!! i will take her to the vet tomorrow and get her some better food (i'll see what the vet recommends). thanks again!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Please let us know who she is doing and what the vet says.

If you ask the vet for his recommendation on food, chances are he'll give you some Hills (science diet) Prescription diet food. They all seem to have some kind of deal or connection with this food...it seems to be prescribed to every sick animal! :roll: It's overall NOT a quality food at all. We have another thread going about that somewhere.

Try to get a canned food over any dry food (even the prescription diets usually have a wet and dry version). Even if your cat was not sick - canned is better. If you want to, you could even tell the vet that you can't afford to continue to buy prescription food and ask him what another high quality canned food might be that you can buy for your cat at the pet stores. Though sometimes that backfires, because they go into the schpeal about how the higher quality foods are the same price, blah, blah. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.

Good luck! I hope she recovers soon!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Well, the *good* news is that cats can recover completely from liver disease!

Given the history, most likely this is a case of hepatic lipidosis. The dark brown urine is the result of bilirubin overflowing the liver and getting excreted by the kidneys; this is also the cause of the jaundice. Bilirubin is a dark brown substance made by the gall bladder that helps the body absorb fat. Normally it is absorbed and recycled by the liver, but when the liver is sick, this does not happen and the bilirubin stays in the blood, making everything a yellowish-brown color.

If she is eating on her own at this point, she is well on her way to recovery. Do get the best cat food you can for her, because the cure for liver problems is good nutrition. She does not need prescription food; although Hills does (of course) make one for liver disease. It's not really all that good and won't help her any more than what she is already eating.

Doing bloodwork now is probably not necessary because it isn't going to tell you anything you don't know, or affect her treatment. Tests are really only necessary if the results could change the treatment prescribed by the vet.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Me too...I don't usually check the forum more than once a day and I was here this morning, but I have a big project that I really don't want to do, so I came here instead! It means a late night, but what the heck! :)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys!!

thank you SOOO much for your help...both of you! so you both really think its a fatty liver? if i took her to the vet he would probably wanna do blood work to be sure...if it is a fatty liver, would he give me medication or just tell me to keep feeding her and she'll recover on her own?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
If I were you I would ask the doctor what the bloodwork is actually going to tell you. Is it going to tell you...yep it's *something* with the liver...or is it going to tell you *what* is wrong with the liver. If it will give you a definite answer to the problem, it would be worth it for piece of mind alone.

And, you've got to feed wet food...very important...especially in your cats situation. For some reason a lot of vets don't know much about nutrition and diet - don't ask me why, you'd think it would be pretty important...so I wouldn't be terribly shocked if he told you dry food was fine...but it's not!

I don't know what his course of treatment would be, unfortunately it usually varies with every doctor! :roll: If he prescribes something find out exactly what it is (the name of it) and what it does. Is it pain medicine, an appetite stimulant, an antibiotic, etc.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
A blood test would only tell you that the liver enzymes are elevated. You would need a biopsy to know *why*. And if she's already recovering, "why" doesn't really matter.

Fatty liver is the most likely given her history; it could be hepatitis, or a number of other things, but the treatment for all of them is the same.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Dr. Jean,

Do you think this kitty is really recovering? I thought she said the kitty was still jaundiced. I know she said that the cat was starting to eat, but she didn't know what hte medicine was that was prescribed and I was just wondering if maybe it was a appetite stimulant?

Also, how long with the cat appear yellowish - does it take a long time for that to go away even if the cat is in recovery? Everything I've read says that this could take 6-8 weeks before the cat is eating normal again, but I never see anything about how long it'll take before the jaundice appearance goes away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i was wondering the same thing about how long it'll take for the jaundice to clear up. and also how much she should be eating and drinking. i am still having to force water into her w/ a medicine dropper, but i dont wanna give her too much (or too little for that matter!). i went out and got her a bunch of different brands (good brands) of cat canned food. i got alot of lamb and ric and also some for her urinary tract. i got her to eat half of a small can of the canned food yesterday, which is the most i've been able to get her to eat (she ate it by herself too) in one day. will her urine clear up the same time the jaundice goes away? again, thank you guys so much. you both have taken a lot of saddness away! i was really scared for her life, and i cant loose her...i just lost my fiance and we're expecting a baby...so the less stress, the better!! thanks again :wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts