Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the link where I my girlfriend originally posted:

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4454

I have her tests results here and count, etc...with me and would like to share with someone who knows about it and ask a few questions if possible.

Is it transmitable to humans? Will I be able to have another cat at home?

Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeanie said:
Perhaps this link will explain FIP and its ramifications. I hope so.

http://www.vetinfo.com/cfip.html

I'm sure Dr. Jean will have some information for you, but this is all I can do. Good luck. Bless that little kitten.
Thanks. I wonder if the count number on her test will have any influence on her life, and what is our expectancy.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
A positive FIP test is not an indication of infection, only exposure. Time will tell whether she actually has the disease. About 40% of normal cats will test positive and never develop FIP.

FIP is not really that infectious; it's more of an autoimmune disease. The corona virus is associated with it, but it's the immune system's response that is what makes them sick. It is not very transmittable, in one study of 800+ cats, the transmission rate within households where at least one cat had confirmed FIP, only 3-5% of other cats got sick.

If you want to PM me her test results I'll try to help you figure out what's going on!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
drjean said:
A positive FIP test is not an indication of infection, only exposure. Time will tell whether she actually has the disease. About 40% of normal cats will test positive and never develop FIP.

FIP is not really that infectious; it's more of an autoimmune disease. The corona virus is associated with it, but it's the immune system's response that is what makes them sick. It is not very transmittable, in one study of 800+ cats, the transmission rate within households where at least one cat had confirmed FIP, only 3-5% of other cats got sick.

If you want to PM me her test results I'll try to help you figure out what's going on!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
Bless you. My scanner is broken so I'll try to take a digital picture of her tests results and send you tomorrow. I have no clue what I am reading. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts