Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is a beautiful Himalayan, Persian Blue... Lion King.

I just got back from the 24 hour emergency clinic because I knew something was wrong and my Lion King had to stay because of a urinary blockage. I am so upset because I take such good care of him and than this happened.

They will be keeping him till Monday unless he bounds back fast. I only hope that happens. I have only been home for 20 minutes from the Animal ER and I miss him already.

Thank You for listening....

Star
)))

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
HI Starduster,
I was about to leave the site when I saw there was a new thread posted. I hope Lion King will get better and there will be no complications. By the way: what caused the blockage?
Oh, and don't forget to get some sleep- just think about all the energy you will need on Monday when you will go see him! Sweet dreams and I hope to hear good news

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat, Star. :( A blockage is a very serious matter so hopefully you caught this in time before any permanent damage was done.

Was he unable to urinate at all or did he just go but in small amounts? Do you know yet if the doctor is going to run a blood profile screen? I'm sure he most likely will but if not, you might want to suggest it to see if it's necessary. If there was any damage done to the kidneys then it would show up on the blood work.

I wish you the best of luck and hope your kitty recovers quickly! :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ioana and Jessica,

I did get to bed at 3am, I guess I was very restless. I called this morning and my cat is resting comfortable and still with the Catheter in him.

They definitely are doing a complete blood profile for him and we'll know how he is doing in that respect when I talk to the doctor this evening between 6 and 7 pm.. thats our scheduled doctor check in time. I think georgie was probabably completely blocked, although when I gently wiped my hand across his little urethra I could feel a very faint droplet or two.

Your kind words have made me feel better and realized that I need to stay connected to the Cat Forum. I have had Georgie for 4+ years and just never had any problems... always fed him the best and kept hime impeccabley clean and comfortable and of course, he is an indoor kitty. I love him a lot! I am presently on a forum for my own presonal disease which is Lupus, but, since my Georgie, Lion King has gone through this, I need to be more aware of things.

I'll post a pic of Georgie later today. Thank you all for your kindness, I feel great just hearing from you.

Star <<))

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I hope he had a full recovery Stardust! Let us know how he is when he comes home tomorrow!

p.s. Welcome to the Cat Forum!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hi Star,
I am glad to hear you are better. I bet you are at the doctor's right this moment and you are picking up your beloved Lion King. Hopefully he is now doing better. Is he gonna be on any kind of medication? Oh, and you forgot to tell me what might have caused this blockage. There are so many connaisseurs, here, on this site and I feel silly to ask these questions ..but this a domain I don't know much about ..and knowledge comes always handy.
I am also looking forward for the picture. Have a pleasant evening and write back soon!
ps hope you are feeling good yourself

·
Registered
365 Posts
Star, Ill be thinking of you and your furry baby in my prayers. I'm sure he knows you love him so much! I know how scary it is to have a really sick kitty. I'm glad you found this forum...everyone is very supportive and caring. Let us know how things are coming along.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, My Lion King is home

He is home and I think he is still recovering because he does lick himself a lot. I have been checking the litter box every day to make sure that he is voiding as he should. Things pretty much look ok. The pic above shows my Georgie in a very comfortable and normal happy position for him. This tells me he "IS" doin all right. He is upside down in his little bowl bed on the back of my sofa. He loves soft cuddly places.... hope you all didn't mind me posting his pic for you all to see.

However, he does not like this new kitty food. If he could say dirty words to me, I think he would use everyone known to mankind. I am going to stay with this food though and he will just have to give in. He is eating the Eukanuba dry and I'm also offering him the Eukanuba canned. The Nutritional Urinary Formula only available from the Vet's office. I've doctored it up and warmed it up and shoved little pieces in his mouth... he sure is being finicky. I know he loved his old Eukanuba food, so what's the deal. Any good ideas that I have not tried yet? Would be interested to hear them.

Thank you much, Star

·
Registered
265 Posts
Georgie is very handsome!! And he looks quite comfortable at that!

I'm so glad to hear the good report! Since Georgie has someone like you to look after him, I'm sure he'll be all right.

As for his food, a lot of the prescription foods are not very palatable for many cats but there are several different types of food made for cats with urinary tract problems so talk with your vet and see if they have any other kind in stock that Georgie might find more appealing.

Depending on what type of crystals Georgie had, he might be a candidate for Hill's C/D which is made for cats with urinary troubles. Most cats that have to be on it like it a lot so maybe you can switch to that.

Also IVD and Waltham make prescription foods but they are not as widely sold in vet offices as Hills and Eukanuba. IVD's diets tend to be more appealing to some cats as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Georgie....My Lion King

Thank You, Jessica!

Your suggestions are very good and I certainly do appreciate them. I know I have to feed him this particular kind until they are gone, than we are switching to another kind. Providing his urine samples are good and I think as you say, the crystals are good or gone. See how much I know about this. I've had Georgie for 4 years and this is something I have never gone through... but, I'm learning and I'm going to be watching very closely. Sure don't want my kitty hurting again... I was in tears when I realized something was wrong. So, I sure do appreciate your response and suggestions and ideas as well.

Much Thanks, Star

1 - 11 of 11 Posts