Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The months of socialization I've spent with Napster, the abused hamster, are finally starting to pay off! :D

"Hey mom!"

"Hmmm....what's this?"

"Peek-a-boo"

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
So cute!
Does yours actually use the hamster potty? Ours totally ignored it and I finally tossed it out as it was only taking up space.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cats generally ignore him, and he doesn't really seem to mind them. His bin cage is on top of the rabbits' cage, so the kitties don't really have a comfortable perch on which to watch him up close.

And he took to the litterbox almost immediately; after I had noticed him peeing in one particular corner of the cage, I just put the little box there.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
When my kids are older....I cant wait to get them a hamster of their own.
Or a bunny? I am not sure yet. But they have to be old enough to clean the cage themselves.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BoscosMum-

If the kids are looking for a pet, I'd suggest a hamster. Bunnies would need are a lot more involved, and the responsibility is usually too much for a younger child, so they'd definately be a family pet. First off, they live up to 10 years, maybe even more, as opposed to the 3 year lifespan of a hamster. They need a roomy cage in an area of the house that's not too busy, but has people around for them to interact with. They can be a bit more interesting than a hamster; while hamsters are nocturnal, rabbits active at dawn and dusk. They need a lot of time outside the cage too in a bunny-proofed area (like hamster, they need to chew).

Bunnies are an awesome pet, but they're not for everybody. It takes a little more work to incorperate them in a house with kids, dogs and cats, but a lot of people do it :D

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They don't have any body odor, aside from the soft, sweet smell of hay :p. Their poo is dry and odorless too, it's their pee that can smell bad. But I change their litterbox on a daily basis (they use newspapers) so there's no smell at all!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts