Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, out of the icestorm of the century AKA snowmagedon a young couple bring to us tonight, a tiny black kitten. Soaking wet and freezing cold with a temp of 93 degrees Farenheit on arrival!

So I had her under my shirt all evening at work and now, well, I can't just send her to Animal Control, as a black cat its a death sentence.

She's really sweet, but I suspect she's feral. She isn't afraid of me, but she is terrified of everything else. I have her set up in Moxie's crate in the living room. She just needs time and TLC I think. The boys don't seem to really care that she's here.

Her name is Jette (short for Ninjette, as she's a baby ninja all over again)

Isn't she adorable!

I really CAN'T keep her forever, so if you know of anyone in Texas looking for a kitten, have them contact me!

·
Super Moderator
26,491 Posts
OMGosh! How adorable!!! Congratulations on your new kitty!! :grin:

Love the name.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Love the name.

CHHH! Marie! She is not MY kitty! She's not staying! I don't need any of that sort of encouragement! Where's the voice of reason when I need it....Heidi!!!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

Love the name.
CHHH! Marie! She is not MY kitty! She's not staying! I don't need any of that sort of encouragement! Where's the voice of reason when I need it....Heidi!!!
Well, you DID post in "Meet My Kitty", rather than "Cats In Need"! ;) LOL

Good luck with getting her into a Forever home!

·
Registered
412 Posts
OH my goodness she's gorgeous! I've been back and forth thinking about a 3rd kitty - a black one since I miss the ridiculous personality of a black kitty in my home. (Thinking through all the black kitties I know, including my Zoe, they all seem to have VERY similar personalities!) If I were closer I might be tempted. I just love her long nose. That is simply adorable. :)

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
She's so adorable! How did the couple know to bring her to you? Putting her under your shirt was brilliant and a very loving thing to do.

I won't be the voice of reason, either. That makes me a huge hypocrite, since I'm a one-cat person. Oh well, I have the utmost respect and admiration for people with multiple cats, because they're stepping up to the plate when kitties need them.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Oh, don't listen to me. Marie has coached me into a fine enabler. ...says the CF member who recently took in a mama-cat, her 5 kittens, the tomcat hanging around them and finally got everyone s/n/vaccinated.
You *know* what I'm gonna say, right? :wink

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She's so scared! Poor baby! How do I help her through her fear? Any ideas?

I think Ninja finally figured out there was another cat in Moxie's crate and he's most upset. HE is the baby, thank you very much!

Honestly though, If I could afford to keep her, I would. I'm struggling to pay the bills as it is, and also, my apartment could evict me if they found out I had her.

But, I'm willing to get her over her shyness and into a loving home. One of my vets will donate a spay. Another is donating vaccines. I paid for her FELV/FIV test and deworming. It takes a village.....

So is there a place to post her on here where will who are looking to adopt will look?

·
Super Moderator
26,491 Posts
We do have a "Cats in Need" forum here.

Will your vet let you put a flier up at work? My hairdresser had Gigi's up at her shop and passed them out to friends with businesses. There's always Craigslist and kijiji, both free.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
E-bay now has local classifieds, and a pet section.

I'm hoping you're going to be VERY careful about screening for potential homes. Especially for a black cat. Don't give her to just anybody...maybe ask for their vet reference or something, so you know she'll be properly taken care of. It might seem like a little more hassle, but better than later finding out they just wanted a kitten and then when she grows up they got bored of her and took her to the pound or something (happens a lot here, unfortunately).

I feel your pain about not getting to keep her. My dad/landlord was rather upset when I had the feral kittens in, as they recovered from URIs and spaying. I finally had to return them to the back yard/colony... at least I still get to see them every day! Maybe you can get your kitty to a local person, and go visit ever so often!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh dont worry, I will be very selective. 2 references, one a vet. Must have internet, as she has sat here with me all night surfing the net. She likes icanhascheezburger.com the best. She just watches the screen so intently. I think she's starting to come around.

I don't want her to go until she is spayed at least, and I'd rather she be more socialized and settled first. I want her to go to someone who won't declaw her and won't put her outside, so I want her using scratching posts and such before she leaves. I think she will be with me for a while.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
The best way to socialize her to handling is to handle her. Often.

Kitties don't learn when they are frightened but if you keep handling her, and nothing bad happens, eventually she'll realize she hasn't been harmed and can/will think about what happens when she is being handled; it's gentle, it feels good, it doesn't hurt and they might *like* it. My philosophy is you have to *help* the kitten learn handling is okay by *actually handling* the kitten. They can't learn it on their own and in my feral-fostering-for-public-adoption situations, my goal is to get the kitten comfortable and relaxed with handling asap and then keep them at that heightened level of handling so it "sticks" and becomes their new 'normal' for when they *do* go to the adoption center to find their own homes.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts