Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember a brief thread I posted about Nito's little "sebacious" problem I posted about a month ago. I did everything the vet directed me in keeping his chin acne under control, yet despite all that he developed a raging secondary infection. The comodones "blackheads" are gone, and replacing them are large swollen oozing pustules. His whole chin is swollen and very painful. He has had multiple vet visits these past few weeks. He's had a full blood panel done, and CBC/chems came back normal save for an elevated WBC count (due to his chin infection). On top of it all, he's lost weight despite me more than TRIPLING his rations. He is down from 10 lbs to 8 lbs over the past two months. :-( Tonight, he was hiding under Andrew's bed and crying loudly and since I was at work at the emergency clinic having a slow night, Andrew brought him in. He was slightly dehydrated so we gave him subQ fluids, reran his blood work (all normal save for ^WBC), and I convinced him to eat a jar of baby food.

I'm SO worried about him, it puts me in tears sometimes. A three week course of antibiotics has done nothing so we're switching him to something new based on the results of a culture and sensitivity I had run on his chin pus. Diligent and gentle cleansing of his chin, warm and cold compresses, creams and ointments galore, and nothing is working. If anything, it gets worse and worse. Magneto is so stressed out, having to travel with me to Madison (I commute now) back and forth, living at my house sometimes and at Andrew's other times. He spends much of his time hiding, wanting to avoid me because he knows that I have to pill him, or dab something on his chin, or otherwise upset him in some way. He's unhappy and stressed, and it's stressing me out and he can sense it, which makes everything worse. And I know that stress can play a big role in these things. It simply can't be helped... I work long overnight hours and he needs to stay on schedule with his treatments. Magneto seems to have lost all his enjoyment in life lately, and these past few days has been moping around, curling up in a corner and looking scared.

I guess I just need some support and encouragement. We are waiting on results of a thyroid panel I had run on him, to see if there is something causing him to gradually lose weight like this. I don't think that thyroid problems are connected to chin acne... but maybe. Nito has a team of excellent vets working on his case who are at my disposal whenever I might need them, he can and will get whatever care he needs. I am just so worried! I hope his new antibiotics will make a difference (it can take up to an 8 week course of antibiotics to really kick the chin acne secondary infection). Any words of advice from people who have experienced this would be great.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Awwee, poor thing! :( I have no experience with this whatsoever, but it is so good that you have so much help for him (and you as well) at your disposal. I hope he gets well very soon, I know it's so stressful for all involved.

It'll take some time, but he will get better. I know it's difficult (I think we've all been there at one time or another,) but try to keep yourself calm. I know he's not going to be happy with you since you have to pill him and put creams on him and all that, BUT - it is for his own well being. Regardless of whether or not he understands it. Once he gets better, he'll realize all of those "terrible things" you've been doing to him are to make him get better! You're doing every last thing you can do, and that's such a great thing :]

I know it's emotional, stressful, scary, worrisome, etc., etc., etc. Just keep in mind you're doing everything you possibly can for him.

[Just a little sidenote, I have a tattoo on my right wrist that says "Just Breathe" - this has been my motto for many many many years, and sometimes it's useful to remember to do just that.. Breathe. It'll do you both a world of good.]

·
Registered
410 Posts
Awwww poor baby! (meaning you AND Magneto!) There's nothing fun about stress like that.

I hope you guys figure things out and he makes a speedy recovery! Just curious, too--do you think he maybe is reacting to something in his environment (with the original chin irritation) and that's keeping him from getting better? Even something as simple as a new laundry detergent you're using on a regular basis/fabric softener? I know I have reactions to random things that are scented and then my immune system kind of goes haywire and I get acne, eczema, etc. secondary to exposure. Maybe Magneto has an Achilles heel?

It sounds like you have great access to care and that's so awesome for you, keep us posted! So awesome that he can come and "visit" you at work when he needs treatment too!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Ay Rach I'm so sorry! Poor Nito!

Everything will be ok, listen, you have the BEST doctors working for him, you yourself are a vet tech, and all this medication nightmare will pass...I can't tell you how many times I had to give medicines to all of my kitties, and I went through all the "don't come any closer I hate you" stage that broke my heart. Imagine with Ice, a whole month on itraconazole! and the clotrimazole spraying! He hid from me like a scared rabbit. Now this is all forgotten.

Just try and calm down, wait for those results, and don't feel guilty about "torturing" him with pills and stuff. You are taking care of him 'cause you love him, even if he can't understand that completely. He'll recover and forget all that.

I'll be thinking about him and you, healing vibes and all my warm thoughts for Nito. You'll be ok sweetie! Lil' Ice sends purrs an head buts. :catsm

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I'm so sorry! :( This must be so stressful for both of you. I know that whenever MowMow's been sick the hardest part was watching him suffer and be helpless to do anything.

Sending healing thoughts for Nito AND you!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sorry for this difficult time for you and Magneto (cant help thinking of Xmen). i havent had this same experience, so i cant really say much.

How long since was the C+S of his chin pus? Sometimes with humans, it takes several wks for the FINAL sensitivites to come in and therefore the meds have to changed. i am hoping you got the final sensitivities. I am thinking probably poor Magneto might not be handling the antibiotics well: making him tired and just groggy. Also the pain in his jaw too isnt helping.

I am hoping he's not having an additional thyroid problem. maybe his weight loss is due to his painful chin...hurts for him to chew and move his chin therefore he doesnt want to eat. i'm hoping his weight loss is just due to his painful chin.

is there anyway you can leave Magneto in either your home or just Andrew's instead of moving him back and forth? maybe it will ease things a bit. just a thought. :)

just some of my little thoughts. sorry i am not so helpful. hoping things will look up as these difficult days come by. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Banned
5,530 Posts
[[[[hugs]]]]

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the past couple of days he has been staying at Andrew's house. What worries me is that his appetite is good. His C&S was done about three weeks ago. This morning we were both in a better mood. He must have been feeling dehydrated because the fluids seemed to perk him right up. He also enjoyed some Feliway (we have it at the e-clinic). My tech friend sprayed down his cheetah blanket so he snuggled with that today :)

What he could be reacting to in the environment, I do not know. There are so many possibilities but I cannot seem to pin it on one thing. I at first thought my new cat tree, but I first noticed the acne the day right before it came in the mail. At the time it started I was using a new kind of litter, made with corn. So I got rid of that. At the recommendation of another vet, I ordered some DUOXO spray made for seborrhea.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Once his chin (hopefully) heals, I'll have to see if it recurs later and try to solve this mystery. I hope it never comes back!

.I can't tell you how many times I had to give medicines to all of my kitties, and I went through all the "don't come any closer I hate you" stage that broke my heart.
This is exactly what I am going through! It kills me! He just looks at me with these wide eyes and cries. "Why mommy!?" :-(

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Awww I hope Nito gets better soon. Poor guy. It's the worst when they're sick/in pain and on top of that refuse to come near us cos they're scared we'll give them more medicine. *hugs* - for both of you.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
So sorry! Its so hard when they are sick. You are trying to help them but they don't understand. It was like this with Kobie at the end too. Will be praying that Magneto is feeling better again soon and things will be back to normal.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I have no experience with anything similar, but it sounds like you're doing everything you can. I hope Magneto is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
*sigh* he threw up his breakfast today, but that was about ten minutes after he took his antibiotics. I didn't see a pill in the pile of ick, so I didn't re-pill him. He was wanting to eat again right after so I let him. It seems like he is still losing weight but I have no weighed him since Friday night. It's very worrisome. Still waiting on the results of his Thyroid panel. And highly considering having him back to the E-hosp tonight while I work if we aren't overly busy. Just for monitoring and fluids.

It's a tough choice, to take him or leave him home because it's very stressful for him. And I think stress is playing a huge part in this.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He's on his way back to the E-hosp tonight. Something just isn't right with him. He's dehydrated again and is running a fever. My poor baby :-(

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We did biopsies of his chin and lanced his lesions. He also go pain meds and more blood work. This time his ALT was through the roof indicating that something is going wrong with his liver. I'm just about freaking out. Nito, however, woke up smooth from the anesthesia and is in good spirits (probably thanks to the pain meds) He also go fluids, which he really needed.

I'm trying to stay calm but I am SO worried.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Oh gosh I'm sorry...

I'll be thinking of you. All my good vibes go your way. You are doing great by keeping him with you all the time. It'll be ok.

Hugs [[[]]]

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, nightshift is over. Nito was in a very good mood after he recovered from anesthesia (cats love Buprenorphine!) and he ate well and even did his tricks for the good doctor and my tech friend :) His meds have been changed and we are giving him a liver supporting medication called Denamarin. He has had so many feline greenies this morning (his favorite). I'm monitoring him closely today, we have big plans of sleeping last night off, all day today. The girls (Cindy, Chica, Winry) are back at home but my family is stopping by to take care of them today as Nito and I are staying up in Madison at the BFs house where we are closer to the E-vet. We are going to be monitoring his blood values over the next week or so. Praying that this liver crisis is just an acute and hopefully transient thing, and not something that is going to lead to bigger problems down the road. Praying that we find the right antibiotic that will kick this chin infection soon. The liver is the best organ at repairing itself, so that is on our side.

He's purring and being quite social this morning, HUGE improvement to how he has been lately.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He's being quite the goof ball, he REALLY seems to like those pain meds. I am a nervous wreck and he is sitting there, staring off into space, and purring like crazy. For the first time since I bought it a week ago, he is wrestling with his catnip rainbow. A shame, because I bought it as a special present for him and Winry has already chewed a hole in one corner! He's also been put on pred, and it has brought his appetite back. He's in good spirits. Perhaps *I* am the one needing to be medicated here!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts